What do you do when you get a new acro frag?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it is a very exciting time when we get a new stiock for our tank expensive or not I am wondering what you all do when you get the coral and how you acclimate the coral to your parameters and lighting.

What I do is float the coral than 40min drip acclimate than dip in coral rx and bayer. Than I set them on a frag rack about 5in off the sandbed so no creatures touch them. i also turn ,y lights down to the lowest intensity.

Is turning my light intensity necessary?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is a very exciting time when we get a new stiock for our tank expensive or not I am wondering what you all do when you get the coral and how you acclimate the coral to your parameters and lighting.

What I do is float the coral than 40min drip acclimate than dip in coral rx and bayer. Than I set them on a frag rack about 5in off the sandbed so no creatures touch them. i also turn ,y lights down to the lowest intensity.

Is turning my light intensity necessary?

Yep, pretty much what I do. Ive gotten where i drip acclimate them for 30 mintues as well after floating them. Works well for me.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep, pretty much what I do. Ive gotten where i drip acclimate them for 30 mintues as well after floating them. Works well for me.

do you reduce intensity of light by any or just lay them close to the sandbed? Im getting some high end corals and really want to make sure they are well taken care of as these will be my last corals in this main display :)

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you reduce intensity of light by any or just lay them close to the sandbed? Im getting some high end corals and really want to make sure they are well taken care of as these will be my last corals in this main display :)

I don't reduce light intensity, but keep them in sand bed for a day or two. Usually in a corner of the DT. Less light. I don't reduce flow ether.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought almost all the SPS for my current system from Battlecorals - when they arrive I rinse them in a bucket of my DT water and then I place them in my tank. In the past, with other vendors, I was meticulous. These Battlecorals, I've just thrown in and everything has gone well.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mostly the same, but each coral goes into a QT/Frag tank for a few months until it is growing and I can verify that they are pest free.

I also remove them from the plugs and remount them on new ones.

I just drop them under the MH... no acclimation. MH burn is not really much of an issue, though. They start at 400ish par and can work up to 600ish.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy from 3 vendors and they use LED. I get the coral, put it straight in Bayer dip > rinse in tank water bath 1 > bath 2 > remove from plug if I can, if not cut off the stem, mount where it will be forever.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really do any acclimation at all. Temperature acclimate maybe, but honestly, with the dipping, and transfering from container to container in open air, the coral is subjected to pretty wide temperature swings in a short time period. Floating seems entirely unnecessary. I don't do any sort of drip acclimation or parameter acclimation. I run T5HO which are pretty forgiving. No matter where the frag came from they take to my lights very well, better than the other way around anyway.

If I don't have an immediate spot picked out they'll go on the frag rack which is pretty high up. Same height as they'd be on the rocks anyway, so they get blasted with light and flow immediately. If I have a spot already picked out on the rocks, they'll get epoxied down immediately right after getting home. I dont mess around with staging them over weeks/months. I find that acros do best if they are placed in their spot and left alone. The constant moving ends up stressing them more. Ive never had anything bleach from immediately being hit with high light and flow. Quite the opposite. They begin a positive coloring process from day 1.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip it, then just put it in the tank. Haven't acclimated SPS in well over 15 years. Generally I leave it in the frag rack at the bottom of the tank, and when I remember I move it mid tank before moving it someplace else. Embarrassingly it sits on the bottom of the tank for about 6 months before I do something about it, mostly because I either forget about it or don't know where to put it.

Az reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temp acclimate for 20 minutes, then pour bag water into a container and add equal volume of tank water for 10 minutes, then add another equal volume of tank water for another ten minutes. After chemical acclimation the dip begins. 1 cap of coral rx, 1 cap of coral revive, 1 cap of reef dip and 1 cap of dr gs. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes. Give the corals a good basting during dip and then rinse in 3 seperate containers of tankwater before placing on the frag rack. They are put into 150 par to start and slowly moved to 250 par over a course of 10 days.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating and drip acclimating arent necessary in my opinion since corals can handle fluctuations in temp, salinity and ph just fine. I just dip, inspect for remaining pests or algae then place in my tank based on needed flow and light.
The only things I drip acclimate are inverts.

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started off, I did the float / drip acclimate. Recently though, I do a 15 min bayer in the provided water, then 15min coral rx in tank water, then into the tank it goes. Usually on a rack for a week or so then glued into the tank.

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do not care for the differnt levels in DKH and calc and salinity? that is why I drip acclimate.

El.Kae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not care for the differnt levels in DKH and calc and salinity? that is why I drip acclimate.
I see it as, they just went through so much shock of the double dip, it won't effect them much. Now I do make sure that the system they came out of is relatively similar parameters as my own. Most reefers in my area run similar setups.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back