What do you use in ceiling for hanging lights?

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I have a reef breeders photon v2+ 32.
I am wondering what everyone uses to anchor these to the drywall ceiling or joists?
Thank you!
Paul.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been an electrician for decades and I also have my lights suspended from the ceiling. You need to screw a support to the ceiling jousts. It could be a piece of wood or metal. Use a stud finder or look closely and you will probably see very slight indentations where shettrock screws are.

Anchor the support there with screws at least 2" long. Hang your lights from that.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have done when joists aren't in the right place for centering the light.....they never are....is to first take a board (say a 1 x 4 or 1 x 6) that looks pretty with rounded corners and painted ceiling white, and have it long enough to screw into a couple joists. I can now use this board to center the light and attach hanging hardware where I want. I hope this explanation is clear.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been an electrician for decades and I also have my lights suspended from the ceiling. You need to screw a support to the ceiling jousts. It could be a piece of wood or metal. Use a stud finder or look closely and you will probably see very slight indentations where shettrock screws are.

Anchor the support there with screws at least 2" long. Hang your lights from that.
Do you mean to get a flat piece of wood like a 1"x4" and run it on top of the drywall but fasten it to the joists?
I assume this is to avoid hanging from the actual drywall?
Thank you for your help!

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got it! So what actual hooks do you use as anchors though? Having trouble finding the actual name to order online.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lag screw hook. They come in all sizes depending on how heavy your lights are. Just to to any hardware store or home depot . They are like $1.50

th.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lag screw hook. They come in all sizes depending on how heavy your lights are. Just to to any hardware store or home depot . They are like $1.50

th.jpeg
Thanks!! I knew what they look like but where I am living we are in lockdown so I can't go into the store and look. Now I can order online thanks so much!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If finding the joists becomes an issue you can also use magnets to find the drywall screws to see where the joists are. Although it works best if you at least know which way the joists are running.

If you type in ceiling hooks on amazon you will get a ton of different but usable types of anchors.

OP
OP
Paul31733

Paul31733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If finding the joists becomes an issue you can also use magnets to find the drywall screws to see where the joists are. Although it works best if you at least know which way the joists are running
I do have a stud finder but that is a pretty cool idea!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do have a stud finder but that is a pretty cool idea!
I have a few different stud finders and from my experience none of them are that good. I have much better luck using magnets to find screws. I'm getting ready to hang my lights and have a grid of small magnets on the ceiling above my tank.

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look at large toggle bolts. They should be marked with a weight rating. But it is always better to add a wood block above the drywall to attach to if possible. If the wood isn’t possible toggle bolts are probably the best second option.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

with this

I used a 1/4” fender washer to go under the nut of the eyebolt and gently tighten everything to the drywall ceiling. Use caution as you don’t want to crush or crack the drywall.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
I have a reef breeders photon v2+ 32.
I am wondering what everyone uses to anchor these to the drywall ceiling or joists?
Thank you!
Paul.
Anchor/ screws.

Concrete:
1610956767384.png

For Drywall ceiling you need to find the studs and use the screw directly into the stud.

Some people like to use the anchor/screw below for drywall ceilings because they don't want to find the studs or they don't find any stud where they want to place the aquarium and that should be also fine, if the fixture isn't too heavy and the ceiling is in good condition.

1610957302482.png

Another way is to fix a piece of wood on the ceiling after finding the studs and install the fixtures on that wood, painting the wood same color of ceiling.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back