What do you use to dose nitrates?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium Nitrate , go to LoudWolf on the web , about $15 for 8oz, then go to Reef Calculator, it takes a little doing to figure it out how much to use. but you'll get it.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stump Remover works and I've used it before, but ... I had to move on from Stump Remover.
Hey Reefaholic - can you expound on this? I understand your statement on the quality/purity - but what symptoms were you seeing that prompted your move? I can grab the stump remover less than a mile from my house, and was thinking about trying it out, at least until I get a few more fish in the system.

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use Seachem Flourish Nitrogen. They have a dosing calculator on their site as well that's very accurate. Helps maintain 5ppm in my 20g. I just add it to my newly mixed salt water for water changes.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefaholic - can you expound on this? I understand your statement on the quality/purity - but what symptoms were you seeing that prompted your move? I can grab the stump remover less than a mile from my house, and was thinking about trying it out, at least until I get a few more fish in the system.

Excuse the audio (mic issues), but this will explain. Cheers!

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following this nitrate discussion, I need to raise mine
All the info and counterpoints have pretty much already been said. You just have to decide what the right path is for you based on what has been discussed ;)

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed , Sodium Nitrate from LoudWolf , don't mix a lot , a small amount last a long time.

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the audio (mic issues), but this will explain. Cheers!

Hey there, trying to follow this. Feeling a bit foolish that when I play along on the calculator I get 1230g per liter of RO/DI to get your 1ml=1ppm solution. The Loud Wolf bottle of Potassium Nitrate is only 113g? Am I missing something here? (Oh, 750 liter tank volume).

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, trying to follow this. Feeling a bit foolish that when I play along on the calculator I get 1230g per liter of RO/DI to get your 1ml=1ppm solution. The Loud Wolf bottle of Potassium Nitrate is only 113g? Am I missing something here? (Oh, 750 liter tank volume).
I think their basic bottles are 4g. It's extremely concentrated/pure. Why would you want to dose KNo3 when you could just dose NaNO3? You can overdose potassium (in my opinion, more easily than nitrate...)

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed your reef naturally

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think their basic bottles are 4g. It's extremely concentrated/pure. Why would you want to dose KNo3 when you could just dose NaNO3? You can overdose potassium (in my opinion, more easily than nitrate...)
I was following along with the video above. NaNO3 is what’s in the bottle. Thanks

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stump remover from lowes for years on my SPS tanks. I swear some of you guys would buy reef grade dehydrated water if some carnival Barker pushed it.

1/4 teaspoon raises nitrogen a couple ppm.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stump remover from lowes for years on my SPS tanks. I swear some of you guys would buy reef grade dehydrated water if some carnival Barker pushed it.

I'd bet the concentrated pharma grade NaNO3 is still better bang for your buck. $6 makes about 4 gallons worth... when's the last time you tested potassium (same reason I don't use Fritz's product, throws off my cal and potassium)? Who knows what impurities are left in it (it's mean to kill/break down tree stumps after all...)

Last edited:

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hah! I used to make all my own supplements back in the day. Got a little gun shy over the years. Lowe’s is a PIA around here right now. Lines to get in, lines to get out. Standingin the parking lot for 20 minutes while you wait in the hot sun. I’ll pay more for mail order until Covid vaccine thanks...

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix with water and dose this product?
Yeah, I mix it with RODI water only. Here’s the calculator I used for proper mixing. I also ordered their 500 ML dosing bottles. They make dosing so much easier. Then you only have to mix up a batch every so often and just dose as needed.

calculator -http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mix it with RODI water only. Here’s the calculator I used for proper mixing. I also ordered their 500 ML dosing bottles. They make dosing so much easier. Then you only have to mix up a batch every so often and just dose as needed.

calculator -http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm
just wondering how many grams you are using to 500ml

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back