What do you use to hold your live rock scape together?

firsttime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use zip ties and drill holes. You can also use cement with arylic bonding to come up with creative stuff. This is the latest that I built with zipties and cement.

47a2d804b3127cce9854817e40f200000035100AcMWTRm4YsmIg

rapalaboy1999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good gracious Chort55! Your tank is gorgeous, so clean and tidy and I like your rock scape. What is the name of the two yellow and white fish swimming together?
Just using gravity is what i'm doing now, but i'm a clumsy tank cleaner and I just know i'm going to end up knocking one of my rocks over and cracking my tank. Im just wondering what other creative options other people have found for holding them in place..

They look like Barlett's Anthias (Pseudanthias bartlettorum)

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LukeG, how did you find out the JB water weld epoxy is reef safe? Is it only safe after it cures/sets?

I wish there was some article I can point you to but I read it on a forum either here or the other big forum.

It hardened really fast and held well. I haven't seen negative effects yet but my tank is still really new. I'm waiting for my lights so only a couple fish and some well established live rock in the tank.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was some article I can point you to but I read it on a forum either here or the other big forum.

It hardened really fast and held well. I haven't seen negative effects yet but my tank is still really new. I'm waiting for my lights so only a couple fish and some well established live rock in the tank.

Thanks for telling me about it, i'm going to try to do some more research on it, The epoxy stuff they sale at the lfs doesn't work very well (at least that's what I keep reading when I read reviews on it) and the JB Water weld is less than half the price so it would be nice if its reef safe. I intend to keep some sensitive corals and feather dusters so I have to be careful of what I end up using.
Let us know how things progress with your tank.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I did with the Marco rock cement.
8BEAB6DB-8425-4B51-8A8C-E617EFBD20A4-4121-000001F73E9A6869_zps508b7209.jpg
WOW! I really like what you did there, that's a very impressive rock scape. You know from another thread I have that my scape needs help..lol.. Seems like the Marco rock cement worked great for you. Thanks for sharing the info!

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Most epoxys are reef safe, shouldnt have to use the "reef epoxy" its almost all the same stuff. It also works alot better when the rock is dry iv noticed. Horribly difficult to use epoxy underwater. I have two towers held by epoxy atm.

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I googled the JB Water Weld epoxy, typing in "JB Water Weld in a reef aquarium" and found countless post from folks on this forum and other forums saying they have used it in there reef tanks with no problems. After reading all the post from long time users, I feel good about using it in my tank.
How long did it take before you could put your rocks back in after applying the weld?

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color does this dry? I've heard of ppl using this, similar to the compound Marcorocks.com has I believe, I like the pillar look so I wonna make sure this stuff holds well

It will dry a dark gray color usually but you can also spread sand or rubble pieces onto it. I think it is probably the same stuff that marco rocks sells and it is just like concrete so I had no trouble with it bonding well but I also drilled out my rock and used fiberglass rod as well as the cement. It has a short working cycle so you can only mix a small amount at a time as once its mixed you have about 2 minutes until it starts to set. I usually lay everything out and test fit as to how I want it and what I want to spread the cement out so I know bout how much to mix. Hope that helps and have used it on many rock scapes in pillar forms and got the idea from reading Sanjay Joshi's tank build on Reef Central.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled the JB Water Weld epoxy, typing in "JB Water Weld in a reef aquarium" and found countless post from folks on this forum and other forums saying they have used it in there reef tanks with no problems. After reading all the post from long time users, I feel good about using it in my tank.
How long did it take before you could put your rocks back in after applying the weld?

I waited an hour. It was hard as a rock. I drilled holes in the live rock and used a fiberglass rod that driveway reflectors are mounted on. I made 3 base pieces with the rod and epoxy and drilled random holes in the other pieces or live rock. I slide the pieces down the pole to stack the rocks. I'd like to change the height of one if the rock structures so they aren't so uniform in height. I've got a couple pieces of dry rock in my fuge hanging out until I have time to rearrange things.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361211411.809571.jpg

OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited an hour. It was hard as a rock. I drilled holes in the live rock and used a fiberglass rod that driveway reflectors are mounted on. I made 3 base pieces with the rod and epoxy and drilled random holes in the other pieces or live rock. I slide the pieces down the pole to stack the rocks. I'd like to change the height of one if the rock structures so they aren't so uniform in height. I've got a couple pieces of dry rock in my fuge hanging out until I have time to rearrange things.

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1361211411.809571.jpg

I really like your rock scape! It looks a lot better than mine does right now! I plan to change my rocks around sometime in the next couple weeks. I actually picked up the JB Water Weld today. I will post some pictures of how it turns out.

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your rock scape! It looks a lot better than mine does right now! I plan to change my rocks around sometime in the next couple weeks. I actually picked up the JB Water Weld today. I will post some pictures of how it turns out.

Thank you. I didn't think it came out too bad for a 20 gallon. Now if only reefbreeders would ship out my light!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to rescape my tank now after reading all of this. Gonna scoop
Up some JB waterweld tomorrow. Can a fully stocked two year and a half year old tank be rescaped? Mine is boring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whataday

whataday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to rescape my tank now after reading all of this. Gonna scoop
Up some JB waterweld tomorrow. Can a fully stocked two year and a half year old tank be rescaped? Mine is boring.

I would think it would be fine to re-scape your tank, Just don't stir up your sand bed to much because that can cause some problems from what I've read, with the old sediment and bacteria in the bottom being released at once wouldn't be good.. Google info on re-scapeing an older setup tank. Im going to attempt to re-arrange mine this evening and will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back