What does "low" lighting actually mean for corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter laineyg6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

laineyg6

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2014
Messages
109
Reaction score
12
Location
Lubbock, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10G nano tank and a Current LED lighting system. I used to use 2 compact Coralife 50/50 bulbs to light my tank and decided to upgrade. The only corals I have are softies, random polyps, palys, zoas and mushrooms. Since then, my corals stretch up to the light a lot less, so things seem to be improved. However, I took a leap and ordered some corals online. Turns out most of them require "low to moderate" lighting. I don't have a rock formation that provides overhangs or shelves right now.

I am concerned about the corals (particularly an expensive Rainbow Zoa) getting overexposed. I've had them for 3 days and a couple of them are still acclimating and very annoyed little boogers. The Rainbow has shown no signs of opening up. I finally stacked rock and put it in a shadow.

My LED has a program for cloudy or mostly cloudy lighting that simulates the sun going in and out of the clouds. It also has a 7 hour exposure time (as opposed to the 10 and 12 hour programs) that runs the lights at about 60% strength, and one that runs at 80%.

So, here are the lighting options I've considered:
a) Run the lights at 100% and buy all new live rock to create deep shadowy places or
b) Run the cloudy sky programming so it's not as intense or
c) Run the 60-80% lighting and don't worry about shadowy places.

I don't want to keep moving the frags around and stress them out, but I don't want them to just wither up and die.

Expert opinions welcomed!!
 
Dim the lights down if possible. Start low and gradually raise it over a matter of weeks till everything looks happy.
You won't hurt anything by providing some shade though. It's always a good idea incase you decide on some higher light corals and need to move any lower light ones out of the way.
I'm no expert on lighting though.
Edit: sorry. I just reread your post properly. I would use the 60% setting or hang the lights higher above the tank :) or even both to begin with.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new