What does your significant other think about the hobby?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the secretary of CTARS and my wife actually helps me at the meetings to take all the notes... I'm very grateful.
But if I died tomorrow, tank would probably be sold off in a week. She does nothing with the tank but watch the fish.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m divorced but my GF has no problem with it. She even has names that she calls the fish. Bonnie and Clyde for the Clowns, Laker Boy for the Royal Gramma, etc. Doesn’t really care about the corals though.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the secretary of CTARS and my wife actually helps me at the meetings to take all the notes... I'm very grateful.
But if I died tomorrow, tank would probably be sold off in a week. She does nothing with the tank but watch the fish.
The worse thing. .and my greatest fear
Everything will be 1990’s pricing

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda goes both ways .
She used to like it but has also complained about the noise , cost ,

All work , testing is on me . But she will feed them

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was all in, it's because of her that Our 400 gallon natural sun-lit reef was born. The reef now continues on in her memory.
DSCN2139.jpg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wives complain of being “sports widows”, mine has at times complained of being an “aquarium widow”. One funny thing that she recently said was that she was concerned when I decided to move my current tank (a 60) into the 90 in the living room(currently freshwater ) because she was concerned that wasn’t going to be “enough movement and fish” to keep it interesting. I assured her that both she and our cat would be plenty entertained.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife likes it because I do all the work and when I sell frags sometimes I just give her the money or split it with her. One time I shut down my reef and she said the house felt empty and wasn’t the same.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me personally, my wife had a tank at one point so she enjoys the hobby and likes seeing the fish swimming around in a tank or the various coral in it as well. I am wondering what does your significant other think about the hobby? Do they just think it’s neat and move on? Are they involved in it just like you are? Curious to know what everyone says!
My boyfriend at first was indifferent (he has never seen the ocean) and was like do what you want. Now that I have two tanks in the house he becomes more and more interested and invested in the fish! Doesnt have an interest about learning how to reef but loves looking at them! The only thing he genuinely is invested in is getting a porcupine puffer. He loves them and their intelligence and begged me for one!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boyfriend at first was indifferent (he has never seen the ocean) and was like do what you want. Now that I have two tanks in the house he becomes more and more interested and invested in the fish! Doesnt have an interest about learning how to reef but loves looking at them! The only thing he genuinely is invested in is getting a porcupine puffer. He loves them and their intelligence and begged me for one!
Can't blame him for wanting a porcupine puffer!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife was all in, it's because of her that Our 400 gallon natural sun-lit reef was born. The reef now continues on in her memory.
DSCN2139.jpg

I am sorry. That's a great picture. Must have been a real adventure for you two.

As for OP - my partner loves it. She loves that I spend so much time working on it, and it gives me something to be passionate about. I think I've been a little listless since my pup passed from cancer during COVID but my reef gives me some enthusiastic energy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back