What does your significant other think about the hobby?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me personally, my wife had a tank at one point so she enjoys the hobby and likes seeing the fish swimming around in a tank or the various coral in it as well. I am wondering what does your significant other think about the hobby? Do they just think it’s neat and move on? Are they involved in it just like you are? Curious to know what everyone says!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My wife likes my tanks, but has zero interest in learning anything about them. She knows how much the hobby means to me so she's fine with the fact that we will always have a reef tank(s) until I can longer maintain them.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I met my wife 12 years ago she thought the tanks were cool. Her dad had a small hexagon 35g salt tank when she was a kid. For our first few weekends together we would goto the fish wholesalers around LAX. On our 1st trip I told her to pick out a fish for the tank, it would be her fish and she would have to come visit it all the time. Her first choice was a clown trigger. I said no, and her 2nd choice was an Achilles tang. And after the Achilles came home the wife never left :)

When it was time for us to get married I wanted a sunset beach wedding on a tropical beach. Our families didn't want to travel - They didn't love us enough. So my wife all on her own found out you could rent out the entire Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. So my wife chose for use to get married infront of a 3 story aquarium. For both of us the memory of our ceremony is not of the Rabbi or the vows - but of a couple of giant Sea Bass (the size of a Volkswagon Bug) watching us through the viewing panes.

WEDDING 913.JPG

A custom made Tux was a must have:

WEDDING 1098.JPG

WEDDING 549.jpg

Over the years I have travelled to many 'Fish' shows and conferences. And our deal for her to go to the show was to go pick out any designer clowns she wanted, regardless of price, and bring at least one pair home. And that worked and is still working really well.

When in Mar of 22 we had a double crash - losing first all our fish and then 40 hours later losing all our corals I said maybe it was time to take a break. My wife said NO - you go get that new tank you have been talking about. She thought I was planning on a 500g and was a lil overwhelmed when a 750g flew over the house

750g - Build Progress - Low Res  5.jpg

Dave B

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancee is interested in my tanks! She likes to go to the fish store and help pick out fish and corals. She enjoys giving them all names. She'll sit around and watch the tank with me. She gets pretty invested! If I could only show her how to do a water change...
Got to start somewhere haha

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I met my wife 12 years ago she thought the tanks were cool. Her dad had a small hexagon 35g salt tank when she was a kid. For our first few weekends together we would goto the fish wholesalers around LAX. On our 1st trip I told her to pick out a fish for the tank, it would be her fish and she would have to come visit it all the time. Her first choice was a clown trigger. I said no, and her 2nd choice was an Achilles tang. And after the Achilles came home the wife never left :)

When it was time for us to get married I wanted a sunset beach wedding on a tropical beach. Our families didn't want to travel - They didn't love us enough. So my wife all on her own found out you could rent out the entire Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. So my wife chose for use to get married infront of a 3 story aquarium. For both of us the memory of our ceremony is not of the Rabbi or the vows - but of a couple of giant Sea Bass (the size of a Volkswagon Bug) watching us through the viewing panes.

WEDDING 913.JPG

A custom made Tux was a must have:

WEDDING 1098.JPG

WEDDING 549.jpg

Over the years I have travelled to many 'Fish' shows and conferences. And our deal for her to go to the show was to go pick out any designer clowns she wanted, regardless of price, and bring at least one pair home. And that worked and is still working really well.

When in Mar of 22 we had a double crash - losing first all our fish and then 40 hours later losing all our corals I said maybe it was time to take a break. My wife said NO - you go get that new tank you have been talking about. She thought I was planning on a 500g and was a lil overwhelmed when a 750g flew over the house

750g - Build Progress - Low Res  5.jpg

Dave B
Incredible hearing your story! Also, that custom tux is pretty awesome haha

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am very supportive of my hobbies and I give myself permission to do whatever I want all the time. ;)
Same!
I love all my fish, all 4 tanks, and no one complains about the price of anything. Except lights. I complain about the price of lights.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah, with hobbies like this, who needs significant others? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Exactly. My hobbies take up all my time and money. And they never talk back.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife isn't a fan, however she's extremely supportive of my love for the hobby, my second oldest son loves it, my oldest and youngest son don't really care that much...but my daughter (she's only 2)...there's plenty of time to build her love for it!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife isn't a fan, however she's extremely supportive of my love for the hobby, my second oldest son loves it, my oldest and youngest son don't really care that much...but my daughter (she's only 2)...there's plenty of time to build her love for it!
You can build her into loving it as well haha

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really a significant other in the picture in any big way, but my nearly grown kids are supportive. My son will look at my tank from time to time, but doesn't really get it. My daughter likes to pet dogs at fish stores, but also does like the fish and corals. I'd say she's more just there to support me, though. She will help lift heavy things as needed and helps name things, but she's more into pets she can cuddle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back