What equipment is really needed?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a 72 G BF FOWLR tank that has been running for almost 15 years. I would like to start to incorporate some beginner corals. I have a 40B that I am going to plumb in my basement for a sump but I am unsure what other equipment I will need before I start? I read all sorts of reactors that people add to their tanks, like GFO and Kalkwasser as well as calcium. But what should I have to start?

Right now my tank has a wet/dry filter and a Aquamaxx TS-1 denitrator, to battle the wet/dry Nitrate factory, running and my Nitrates are holding around 10. I never test anything besides Ph, Alk, and nitrates as nothing else is ever out of wack. I am now adding Superbuffer dkH to maintain my ph and alk but I know there are better ways to do it.

Parameters:
Ph : 8.0-8.2
Alk : 8-9
N03 : 10
Temp : 79F
Salinity : 1.024

What reactors/doser should I get before I add any corals? And what other tests should I also be checking? Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphates/Phosphorus?

Any help is appreciated.

Pic for reference :)
tank27.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say just startup your new sump first and than getcacfew good test kits i.
ALK, CAL, MAG, No3 and Po4 as a start.
When all your # are stable. Y just doing water changes I would say pick up a few cheap but colorful corals and try that for a while.
Later on you can try some more delicate corals as you progress.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back