What filter for photography

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Could someone help me with what filter I'll need to block out the blue channel channel to achieve really good coral photography without breaking the bank.

Baring in mind that our choice in the UK is slim compared to you states folk!

I'm thinking a screw in yellow filter...

Anyone had a proper crack with this using a DSLR and proper filters?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are looking for the opposite color of what needs filtering. (Look at a full spectrum chart)
So yes , yellow is one.

An 85a 85b (orange and some y&r), Ambers (r,y,&o) are what you are looking for. Sometimes yellows work,
Sometimes called sunset filter packs as they add a warmth to a nice sunset.
Lee filters(UK), and Tiffen filters (France) will have some handy examples. Lee, in the us does not produce screw in filters.

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get better pictures of the actual colors with your phone, I recommend using gel filters. I got mine on eBay and it makes my life so much easier. No apps to install, no post processing to do, no white balance to play with, etc. Below is a picture with a gel in the center to show the difference and also the ebay link.

Just play with all the orange filters and you will find one that makes everything look just like it does in real life.

I also use those clip on or magnetic rather, lenses that you get on eBay and they are pretty good. I rarely take out my Nikon these days. Below, I also shared a few pics I took with the macro lens and the gel filters.

Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filter...105347?hash=item58e5895783:g:jk8AAOSwYIxX-9JZ

upload_-1.jpg

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back