What fish and inverts to add to a nano reef?

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 26 gallon nano reef with two happy clownfish (build thread <--left). Over the next 6 months I'd like to add a cleaner shrimp, a goby, and another small fish--if possible. I have snails that are doing a pretty good job on the sandbed so I could prioritize the small fish over the sand-sifter. The tank has some good places for a smaller fish to hide. My numbers have been stable but the sample period has been short. Is four small fish and a shrimp too much for a tank this size? What small fish/addition strategy should I consider?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see people with 2-4 fish in a fluval 13.5 so i think ur fine to have 4 fish in a 26 although might not be that easy with u having clowns very aggressive

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 26 gallon nano reef with two happy clownfish (build thread <--left). Over the next 6 months I'd like to add a cleaner shrimp, a goby, and another small fish--if possible. I have snails that are doing a pretty good job on the sandbed so I could prioritize the small fish over the sand-sifter. The tank has some good places for a smaller fish to hide. My numbers have been stable but the sample period has been short. Is four small fish and a shrimp too much for a tank this size? What small fish/addition strategy should I consider?
Nothing is wrong with 2 clowns and 2 small fish in a 26 gallon tank. Are you looking for a unique fish or what type of small fish aside from the sand sifting goby?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would not add a sand sifting goby it will starve in ur 26 gallon it would starve in my 90 gallon

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the title it sounds like you're also looking for invert ideas which are endless...a small urchin, cucumber (filter feeders or detritus feeder), hermits, etc. Inverts are pretty endless. It just depends on your location what you have access to.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is wrong with 2 clowns and 2 small fish in a 26 gallon tank. Are you looking for a unique fish or what type of small fish aside from the sand sifting goby?
A unique nice looking fish would be cool. I’m rethinking the goby from the replies here, I’d rather not have to spot feed.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A unique nice looking fish would be cool. I’m rethinking the goby from the replies here, I’d rather not have to spot feed.
what about a Liopropoma rubre it hides alot in my 90 sometimes it is out but i don't need to spot feed him very nice fish though not that expensive i paid £150 for mine

JamesTh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox 25 peninsula. I have 2 clown fish, a chalk goby, a pyjama cardinal, a cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails and 2 hermit crabs. I wouldn’t go any higher than that, really.

I feed them high quality frozen food once a day, and I put seaweed in 2-3 times a week for the crabs and the snails.

So to answer your question: how about a pyjama cardinal?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Barnacle blennies!!!! Such a cool little fish!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back