What fish do you like but gets a bad reputation in the hobby.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like we all have a that fish we just don't care for all that much. However, to another person, that might be their favorite fish. I am wondering what is your favorite fish that people seem to not like all that much! Curious to see what everyone says!

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...that's a tough one. I love my Dragon Wrasse, it's always doing work very fun to watch. I don't see many folks with Squirrelfish. I liked the fact that they are nocturnal so I can check them out when all the others are sleeping. They actually seem to school rather than the Chromis which I absolutely hated.

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines get a bad rap but I have one who’s a model citizen, it hates my ywg but gets along great with everyone else!

I would love to own a clown trigger at some point but from what I’ve read they’re a huge terror. Absolute dream fish for me and lots of people seem to love them as well but they get pretty big and have terrible personalities when they’re old.

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read Hector's Gobies are difficult to keep, but I kept one in my 20 gallon for nearly 3 years before it crashed last year. I plan to get a new one for the 2.0 version of the tank once I have a decent pod population built up since it became an office tank. They're lovely to watch, and have so much personality as they cruise around for bugs to eat. In personality they remind me a lot of clown killifish in the freshwater hobby, which is another oddball favorite of mine.

I'm also a weirdo who likes the red starry dragonette over any other dragonette, but especially over the ruby reds who are just too loud looking for my preferences.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boxfish have a bad rep for being sensitive and finicky fish but ive never had a problem with hardiness or feeding, in my experience they are pretty easy to care for!

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say, I love holocephalians, specifically my local H. colliei. They require a low - light coldwater system though.... and need more space than an epaulette of contemporary size. I'd thought at least a single person keeps them though...

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAMSELS!!!! Such a hated fish, and all because people don't educate themselves before making a purchase. There are certain damsels that are pure evil. But there are so many more damsels that are docile and make great community tank fish. They are well behaved. And some of them - Like Springeri and Lemon damsels - for some people are great at removing reef tank pests.

If you buy a fish call the 'Blue Devil Damselfish' and expect it to be a good community fish.... Well enough said.

3 Line, 4 Line, Domino Damels --- These are bad fish.

Blue Damsels with Clear tails - Problematic. Blue Damsels with Solid Blue tails (or the orange tail variant) good fish.

Yellow tail Damsel bad. Kupang Damsel (half blue half yellow) Very Very Good.

Stegassi, Rolands, Talbots, Springeri, Lemon, Starki - These are great fish for a community tank.

Dave B

mchans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the aggressive triggers and non reef safe wrasses.....although their reputation is often deserved lol.
I’ve got two triggers and several non reef safe wrasse in my mixed reef tank.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two triggers and several non reef safe wrasse in my mixed reef tank.
Which triggers and wrasses do you have? I got tired of not being able to have snails so I gave up on the larger wrasses.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1097.jpeg

Powder brown tang say ich magnets and bullies no issues with either for mine.

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like we all have a that fish we just don't care for all that much. However, to another person, that might be their favorite fish. I am wondering what is your favorite fish that people seem to not like all that much! Curious to see what everyone says!
I love Eibl’s Angelfish. Especially the ones that come from Sri Lanka. The Sri Lankan ones look incredible compared to specimens from Indonesia or the Phillipines. However, whenever I recommend them to customers in our retail shop, they almost always would rather go with something like a coral beauty angel or a Bicolor Angel.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a trio of true springeri damsels to the reef.
I never would have thought I would add damsels but, here I am.
I need a new pic in the reef. Here they are in QT.

Attachments

• 20230813_182502.jpg
    20230813_182502.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 28

joe_franco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
boxfish have a bad rep for being sensitive and finicky fish but ive never had a problem with hardiness or feeding, in my experience they are pretty easy to care for!
Hey ManWithAClam! Could you tell us more about your experience with boxfish? for how long you´ve kept one, what works best and the hardiest species... Thanks!! Looking forward to get one myself

ClaySaltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the two blue damsels I bought but it only said "Assorted Damsel" from Pomacentridae family so I'm not sure which specific Damsel this is and if it's the aggressive type.
IMG_2466.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back