What fish do you like you can’t keep in a reef tank?

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner Shrimp. They steal all the food I give my coral. I've realized clown fish do as well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue whale
Saw it on LiveAquaria briefly for $75,000,000
images.jpg

I saw that to and was ready to pull the trigger but it turned out that the price didn’t include shipping which was kind of a deal breaker for me. Also, I’m only home on Saturday’s and delivery in my neighborhood was available Tuesdays only. I needed to be home to take delivery to keep the live delivery guarantee valid.

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo Tang. Man I want one so bad!!! I absolutely love them and I thought the 120 gallon I got was going to be good enough but the more I read the more I think it would be a challenge to keep one healthy in there.
If your local lfs don't mind taking them when grown up, you can buy a tiny one. You should be able to keep one for good few years before it outgrows a 120.

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your harlequin in your reef tank? What types of corals do you have?
I also have a tusk in my reef tank with a mixed reef doesn’t bother a single coral or any of inverts, I feed him clam strips, krill, silverside chunks every other day he stays happy and leaves everyone and everything alone.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippo Tang. Man I want one so bad!!! I absolutely love them and I thought the 120 gallon I got was going to be good enough but the more I read the more I think it would be a challenge to keep one healthy in there.

You can certainly keep a Hippo in that tank. I have been keeping them for decades in much smaller tanks than that. My tank now is 120 gallons and my Hippo is smiling from gill to gill. My first one I kept in a 40 gallon tank and he was fine for a few years, then I got a 100 gallon tank and he was still fine. He lived about 10 years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Manta Ray. I wish they made them much smaller, like 2". :rolleyes:

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this thread. I think that a lot of misconceptions about specific varieties of fish are outdated. At times of changed, Aquarium’s have improved and fish nutrition has gotten much better and more widely available it’s easier to keep fish that were “off limits” before. Granted this is a small percentage of people weighing in, but still, it’s heartening! I’ve always wanted a harlequin tusk. I may try it. I just put a dog face puffer in my reef 2 weeks ago bc its one of my long time favorites. Wish me luck!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Tusk is definitely a reef fish in larger reef. There are things you should do to keep one. Mine does not eat my hermits, snails and small fish.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly keep a Hippo in that tank. I have been keeping them for decades in much smaller tanks than that. My tank now is 120 gallons and my Hippo is smiling from gill to gill. My first one I kept in a 40 gallon tank and he was fine for a few years, then I got a 100 gallon tank and he was still fine. He lived about 10 years.
That is very encouraging thank you. Do you think one would work if I already have an established yellow tang?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is not a problem with Harlequin Tusk. They are large wrasse, fierce looking but mellow. They do have small fishes and mobile invertebrates on the menu like CUC and small reef fishes and ornamental shrimp

Harlequin Tusk is definitely a reef fish in larger reef. There are things you should do to keep one. Mine does not eat my hermits, snails and small fish.

Don't these contradict one another??

Cuban Hogfish, Harley Tusk, Clarion Angel would be my picks.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not at all. They don’t eat your CUC and small fish if you keep them well fed and also when you add smaller fish with care. I keep HT in my reef with plenty of small fish and Cleaner shrimp.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a tusk in a fowlr and he will eat scotus snails, pellets and any frozen foods. IMO not all tusks will crustations , these are likely an exception. I doubt he would a damsel fish or bigger. Still too much of risk for me too put my tusk in my reef. I need a clean up crew.
A tusk will posture only and yes they do look meaner than they are. one of my Fav's.
P1020379.JPG
P1020623.JPG
Tusk-who is that fish.JPG

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back