What fish do you think is overlooked?

Nor'easter reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, basically what the title says! Are there any fish that I, as a new reefer, or maybe even long time experienced reefers might overlook or never really hear much of? Maybe they're rather boring color wise but perform awesome tank benefits. Maybe they're really gorgeous but overshadowed by another species that's more popular and because of that you don't see them at the LFS.

OP
OP
Nor'easter reefer

Nor'easter reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love blennies in general and don't think they get enough love, especially compared to wrasses and tangs :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Black Combtooth Blenny
My first first in my 120 was a bi color! Unfortunately he hides constantly... if you sit really still he'll come out to pick the rockwork though. That is till he sees you move :grinning-face-with-sweat: Hopefully he settles in eventually lol.

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id have to say my dusky jawfish. super ugly but the most personable and fascinating fish ive ever had! ive had him a few years now and cant imagine the tank without him. hes always peering out and keeping watch on everything. watching him build his cave is so incredible. he changes color to camouflage himself and rotates his eyes all around. i didnt pay much for him, but hes been kinda costly. i bought some cleaner gobys one time and they were gone as soon as they hit the water:oops:. his eyes change color too! his name is sasquatch:face-savoring-food:
Resized_20240429_172746_1714436961407.jpeg

OP
OP
Nor'easter reefer

Nor'easter reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id have to say my dusky jawfish. super ugly but the most personable and fascinating fish ive ever had! ive had him a few years now and cant imagine the tank without him. hes always peering out and keeping watch on everything. watching him build his cave is so incredible. he changes color to camouflage himself and rotates his eyes all around. i didnt pay much for him, but hes been kinda costly. i bought some cleaner gobys one time and they were gone as soon as they hit the water:oops:. his eyes change color too! his name is sasquatch:face-savoring-food:
That's awesome! I'd never even considered them! I've heard of jawfish but I feel like I usually end up scrolling through live aquarium or some similar site and always look at the same species/types of fish. I had to google these.

OP
OP
Nor'easter reefer

Nor'easter reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like the little lizard people from that Will Ferrel movie, land of the lost :grinning-squinting-face: :grinning-squinting-face: :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Nor'easter reefer

Nor'easter reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The six line wrasse.

Hated on so bad.

So good for SPS tanks.
I actually never did much with wrasse' on my first tank 7 or 8 years ago. I feel in love with Mandarins and didn't want something else eating my pods. I think I'm going to do some digging this time around.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrysiptera springeri

Screenshot_20240606_210757_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240606_210835_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240606_210913_Gallery.jpg

Bad rap due to their brothers from other mothers. These guys don't really school like my chromis but gather together at the top of the reef before diving into the acros. If you want real pest management without the attitude I strongly recommend.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back