What Fish Do You Wish Would Never Grow Up?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful when small, grow too fast, get ugly and will eat everything in your tank and have to be re-homed to the city aquarium before too long, I know lol

panther-grouper-med-fish-cromileptes-altivelis-marine-fish-packages.jpg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the first time I saw a juvenile chevron tang, I thought it was one of the coolest fish of all time. I remember my disappointment when seeing the adult chevron did not retain its juvenile coloration! What are the fish you wish would retain their juvenile coloration?

1604543906475.png

1604543970736.png
agreed.. i made the mistake of not doing my research.. i now have an adult... that is basically a black tang.. the lines are only noticeable in just the right light at just the right angle.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed.. i made the mistake of not doing my research.. i now have an adult... that is basically a black tang.. the lines are only noticeable in just the right light at just the right angle.
I almost got one on an impulse once, luckily I stopped myself in time! Some of the pictures I have seen still look cool but just not the same as the adult. I would love to see an image of your adult chevron

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I, personally, really like fish that have patterns that are more subtle. Nice thing about the hobby is you can find just about anything

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sweetlips clown (grunt). He is in my 180. I am still fighting with the wife for my 300+ gallon for when he grows

now

DE3653C7-43AB-440A-9073-0672D143DEC9.jpeg

Later

1604546494012.jpeg
The juveniles just have such a cool coloration and shape. The tessalated pattern of the adult is still pretty cool. How big do they get?

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, personally, really like fish that have patterns that are more subtle. Nice thing about the hobby is you can find just about anything
I agree there is alot to be said for a tank with fish whose patterns are subtle but still go together as opposed to a tank full of a plethora of mismatched patterns and colors. I do still enjoy having at least one or two fish with a cool pattern.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it might have been somewhat of a traumatic experience. ;)
It was the mid 80s I had no clue what I was doing and I bought 2. They were pigs and ate everything. They grew wicked fast and one died choking on one of his tank mates. The second I segregated in a 55 gallon until he was too big to keep. I gave him to the Brooklyn aquarium as I would go to meetings there in the reef keeping infancy days

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the mid 80s I had no clue what I was doing and I bought 2. They were pigs and ate everything. They grew wicked fast and one died choking on one of his tank mates. The second I segregated in a 55 gallon until he was too big to keep. I gave him to the Brooklyn aquarium as I would go to meetings there in the reef keeping infancy days
Do you remember what kind of fish he choked on and if that fish survived almost being eaten? For the fish you gave to the Brooklyn aquarium, any idea how long he lasted there?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive my husband nuts with how slow I am to pick a fish. Now I am so glad! My tiny yellow belly regal angel is just now starting to get its brighter adult colors. Been waiting two years. Still barely 3 inches

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A78E5ACB-F817-4BCA-A4E7-4925C8215F55.jpeg

my baby Naso! I’m excited that he’s going to grow up to be a big, beautiful fish but this baby face just melts my heart
Looks adorable, in my opinion though the streamers at the end of its tail will make it all worth it, and naso tangs have such a cool coloration!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back