What Fish Do You Wish Would Never Grow Up?

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the first time I saw a juvenile chevron tang, I thought it was one of the coolest fish of all time. I remember my disappointment when seeing the adult chevron did not retain its juvenile coloration! What are the fish you wish would retain their juvenile coloration?

1604543906475.png

1604543970736.png

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't actually know of many tangs that change their coloration from juvenile to adult other than Chevron, Sailfin, and now Blue Caribbean. Although I think the adult sailfin looks better than the juvenile
Almost all the Ctenochaetus do most are just imported after they have already changed, in addition sailfins as you mentioned, orange shoulders, everything in the ringtail complex, sohals to some extent, Caribbean blues, pretty much all Nasos and I am sure I am missing a few others

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Chevrons better as adults those lines are a metallic green you don't see much in saltwater but it doesnt photograph at all. For me it would be Pinnatus batfish hands down.

I will have to find one to see in person then! I hadn't ever heard of the pinnatus batfish. What an awesome looking fish! I may have to get one for my tank. From what I saw on google they lose their black coloration with age?
1604544759501.png

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all the Ctenochaetus do most are just imported after they have already changed, in addition sailfins as you mentioned, orange shoulders, everything in the ringtail complex, sohals to some extent, Caribbean blues, pretty much all Nasos and I am sure I am missing a few others
You learn something new everyday! I will have to try and find more pictures of the juveniles to see what they look like!

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They turn into very large silver fish.
Ahh, I found a picture of them. I almost couldn't believe that the juvenile grows into that adult, the entire body shape changes.

While looking for the pinnatus batfish I also found this zebra batfish, which looks amazing as a juvenile but grows into a less impressive adult

1604545036846.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back