What Fish Do You Wish Would Never Grow Up?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you remember what kind of fish he choked on and if that fish survived almost being eaten? For the fish you gave to the Brooklyn aquarium, any idea how long he lasted there?
I found them both dead one morning, I tried prying the fish out but it was useless.
I don't remember what he choked on but I learned my lesson quick, got two books on reef fish and learned what to keep and what not to after that.
Regarding the grouper I gave to the aquarium folks, I have no clue what became of him. I surrendered him at a monthly meeting and never saw him again.
One thing about the Brooklyn aquarium society, they taught me alot about reef keeping and I even got an opportunity to hear Julien Sprung speak and ask him questions at one of the meetings.
It was really cool

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor angel

4143A766-4745-4343-BF94-778B6B71C2A4.jpeg

To be fair, the adult form is pretty neat too. He's got this face that looks like he's passive-agressively disapproving of your water quality and sarcastically saying "oh, I love how artfully you arranged the bubble algae next to that aiptaisia over there."

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive my husband nuts with how slow I am to pick a fish. Now I am so glad! My tiny yellow belly regal angel is just now starting to get its brighter adult colors. Been waiting two years. Still barely 3 inches
wow... my stuff grows that much in 6 months...! what size is your tank?

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, the adult form is pretty neat too. He's got this face that looks like he's passive-agressively disapproving of your water quality and sarcastically saying "oh, I love how artfully you arranged the bubble algae next to that aiptaisia over there."
lol.. perfect!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive my husband nuts with how slow I am to pick a fish. Now I am so glad! My tiny yellow belly regal angel is just now starting to get its brighter adult colors. Been waiting two years. Still barely 3 inches
Wish mine will take that long. Got my yellow belly at 1" and two months later, already about 1.5". He had to find a new sleeping spot as he won't fit into the hole in the rock he used when he first got home. I also love how these fish wedge themselves into small holes in the rocks and corals to sleep.

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick a fish for its personality and you shall never be disappointed! :D

That being said... three spot damsel is a pretty big shocker...
Screenshot_20201104-212522_Chrome.jpg
This made me laugh, but it is definitely true. Sometimes a fishes personality/inner beauty can overcome its lack of bright colors or patterns. I used to love my two normal occelaris, just because of the personality they had. They maybe were not as cool as some of the snowflakes or picassos but they were a ton of fun to watch regardless!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow... my stuff grows that much in 6 months...! what size is your tank?

It is 140. Poor little guy got chased and picked on a lot at first. A really large zoster and white tailed bristle toothed tang were just evil. The other regal is larger. Over 4 inches
Wish mine will take that long. Got my yellow belly at 1" and two months later, already about 1.5". He had to find a new sleeping spot as he won't fit into the hole in the rock he used when he first got home. I also love how these fish wedge themselves into small holes in the rocks and corals to sleep.
They are so cute when tiny. I actually call the small one baby. And yes, mine love peeking out of the rocks also. Wonder if they grow fastest when only an inch long. Mine was about 1.5 when I got it

OP
OP
SAWFISH

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the -glydon Damsels, even Dascyllus. I also hope their temperament would not “grow up”!
It seems like a lot of people complain about behavioral changes in chromis/damselfish with age. I have 5 juvenile chromis which currently display only limited aggression, hopefully it will remain this way as they age!

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a lot of people complain about behavioral changes in chromis/damselfish with age. I have 5 juvenile chromis which currently display only limited aggression, hopefully it will remain this way as they age!

Currently stocking:
2 yellow tail damsels
2 clowns
Royal gramma
Six line
Lamark angel
Coral beauty
Yellow tang
Scopus tang
Tomini tang
Watchman and shrimp pair
And a lawnmower blenny

By what I read the tank should be world war 3 - it's just all about how well the rock is laid out and how well they are fed IMO.

It prolly helps they are all notorious jerks though :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back