What fish to add next/clown tang curse?

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a two part topic here. Starting to fee like my tank is empty so I want to start adding some more livestock but I really have no idea what I want to do. Ok, thats a lie, I do know that I want a Gold spotted rabbit fish and a marbled wrasse but those are really hard to come by right now it seems. My current stock list is.
Blue Sapphire Damselfish
5 Carberryi Anthias
Evansi Anthias
Hoeven's Wrasse
Jawfish, Blue Dot
Lawnmower Blenny
Orange Shoulder Tang Acanthurus olivaceus
Spotted(Target) Mandarin
Let me know what ideas you have. Part 2 of the topic... I love clown tangs, I think they are absolutely gorgeous. I have one that I kept for about 3 months, and then one day he just absolutely vanished into thin air, no dead body, didn't jump from the tank.. just gone. So I purchased a replacement from live aquaria who refused to eat. I tried everything to get this guy to eat but he wouldn't touch anything so 16 days later he passed away. I really want another one but I'm also too scared that I'm doing something wrong with them. I never saw any aggression between the orange shoulder and either clown tang. Both clown tangs were super docile and I know they can be a bit more aggressive. Just not sure if I want to try again or what.
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/titanuranus/5/inhabitants

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a two part topic here. Starting to fee like my tank is empty so I want to start adding some more livestock but I really have no idea what I want to do. Ok, thats a lie, I do know that I want a Gold spotted rabbit fish and a marbled wrasse but those are really hard to come by right now it seems. My current stock list is.
Blue Sapphire Damselfish
5 Carberryi Anthias
Evansi Anthias
Hoeven's Wrasse
Jawfish, Blue Dot
Lawnmower Blenny
Orange Shoulder Tang Acanthurus olivaceus
Spotted(Target) Mandarin
Let me know what ideas you have. Part 2 of the topic... I love clown tangs, I think they are absolutely gorgeous. I have one that I kept for about 3 months, and then one day he just absolutely vanished into thin air, no dead body, didn't jump from the tank.. just gone. So I purchased a replacement from live aquaria who refused to eat. I tried everything to get this guy to eat but he wouldn't touch anything so 16 days later he passed away. I really want another one but I'm also too scared that I'm doing something wrong with them. I never saw any aggression between the orange shoulder and either clown tang. Both clown tangs were super docile and I know they can be a bit more aggressive. Just not sure if I want to try again or what.
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/titanuranus/5/inhabitants
First off really don't know what size your reef is?

Second: I've never had problems in keeping clown tangs or sohal tangs in good health, but their just too wacko and turn into monsters as they mature.

Need to start off with a great specimen like what Divers Den (WYSIWYG) carries and you need to get them to eat nori / seaweed strips for long term health. Takes a lot a patients and a calm reef with lights dimmed, until they feel comfortable.

They like a lot of caves and open water.

OP
OP
C

ctyler85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off really don't know what size your reef is?

Second: I've never had problems in keeping clown tangs or sohal tangs in good health, but their just too wacko and turn into monsters as they mature.

Need to start off with a great specimen like what Divers Den (WYSIWYG) carries and you need to get them to eat nori / seaweed strips for long term health. Takes a lot a patients and a calm reef with lights dimmed, until they feel comfortable.

They like a lot of caves and open water.
Sorry, should have listed 265g tank. Plenty of caves and open water

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your issue is with the relatively easy clown tang but I say take another shot. As stated above clowns can and do get nastier with age so just keep that in your thought process but as long as you are aware that the clown will be king if the cage you should be fine. Be aware that tang aggression isn’t limited to other tangs so make the clown your final addition.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marbled wrasses get aggressive as they mature.

Clown tangs aren't super aggressive as juveniles, but as they mature their aggression grows exponentially.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd not view the clown tang as 'relatively easy'. I think it's designation as expert only is appropriate. While my own experience with the clown is that it's not quite a psycho as the Sohal, it needs space and even a 7' tank is insufficient.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back