What fish will eat this algae

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have this thin algae. My naso,gem and regal will not touch it. I also had a one spot foxface that wouldn’t either.
Any advice on something that will eat it?
IMG_9105.jpeg
IMG_9104.jpeg

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae I think based on the pics? Dollabella sea hare. They love them and clean them off corals and never harm my corals in the process
My LFS just came in with one this week and I'm probably going to be getting it. What powerhead guards should I use? Is the default cover on the hygger and maxspect systems sufficient? I haven't gotten anything stuck inside it except for a sea star, but I'd rather not take chances. A bit afraid of these guys' toxins.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just came in with one this week and I'm probably going to be getting it. What powerhead guards should I use? Is the default cover on the hygger and maxspect systems sufficient? I haven't gotten anything stuck inside it except for a sea star, but I'd rather not take chances. A bit afraid of these guys' toxins.
Ive had two. One died in my tank and didnt nuke it. I pretty much just let them do their thing. As for powerheads I dont do anything special. These guys try to climb the glass but always fall off, they really can only climb rocks from what Ive seen. Not like snails or stars that can hold on, they may get to the top but then just kinda fall off, its quite funny actually cause they just roll back over and go about their business. I do handle mine every now and again to get him used to me and not shoot toxins if I had to handle him for some reason. Pretty awesome critter. Wouldnt honestly have a tank without one in my clean up crew! I say get it, you will be amazed and how good they are with making the tank look clean!

Attachments

• IMG_2844.jpeg
    IMG_2844.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 35

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two. One died in my tank and didnt nuke it. I pretty much just let them do their thing. As for powerheads I dont do anything special. These guys try to climb the glass but always fall off, they really can only climb rocks from what Ive seen. Not like snails or stars that can hold on, they may get to the top but then just kinda fall off, its quite funny actually cause they just roll back over and go about their business. I do handle mine every now and again to get him used to me and not shoot toxins if I had to handle him for some reason. Pretty awesome critter. Wouldnt honestly have a tank without one in my clean up crew! I say get it, you will be amazed and how good they are with making the tank look clean!
Thanks. All my wavemakers are hung pretty high up, but since my hawk loves to perch on them I was a fair bit scared. Do wrasses tend to pick at them at all? I've got a curious marginatus that wants to eat everything and wrasses seem to have a history of mass berghiacide, wonder if it's the same deal here.

Going to pick it up tomorrow if I'm going to get it, they get sold very quickly.

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also, how big was yours when you got it? The ones at my lfs are about 10 - 15cm or so, and since they have short lifespans I'd rather get a smaller one, but I'm not sure how big a smaller one would be.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and also, how big was yours when you got it? The ones at my lfs are about 10 - 15cm or so, and since they have short lifespans I'd rather get a smaller one, but I'm not sure how big a smaller one would be.
My first one was about 3 inches. My second was about 2 when I got him, he is about 3 to 3.5 inches now. I also put a nori clip in the sand for him to make sure he gets all he needs since he is so good at his job lol.
Thanks. All my wavemakers are hung pretty high up, but since my hawk loves to perch on them I was a fair bit scared. Do wrasses tend to pick at them at all? I've got a curious marginatus that wants to eat everything and wrasses seem to have a history of mass berghiacide, wonder if it's the same deal here.

Going to pick it up tomorrow if I'm going to get it, they get sold very quickly.
And I have a melenarus wrasse and a harlequin tusk with him, neither so much as look at him. Only issue he has ever had with a fish was when he tried to crawl over Ivar, my jeweled eel, who was very upset at him lol

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first one was about 3 inches. My second was about 2 when I got him, he is about 3 to 3.5 inches now. I also put a nori clip in the sand for him to make sure he gets all he needs since he is so good at his job lol.

And I have a melenarus wrasse and a harlequin tusk with him, neither so much as look at him. Only issue he has ever had with a fish was when he tried to crawl over Ivar, my jeweled eel, who was very upset at him lol
Whelp, just got mine acclimating, standard step - by - step acclimation I do for all my fish and inverts. He's probably exactly 10 cm long. Hope he helps my urchin out... even better if he purges it all in a night..

Zero nitrates, SG somewhere around 1.016.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp, just got mine acclimating, standard step - by - step acclimation I do for all my fish and inverts. He's probably exactly 10 cm long. Hope he helps my urchin out... even better if he purges it all in a night..

Cool! I live them, they are so cute too! Their little face looks like a hippo

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do not put a sea hare in 1.016 water! WAY too low

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back