What fish would go good with a shrimp/goby pair?

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to plan out the next fish or two that will go in my tank. It is a 20 gallon cube and currently has a Randall’s Goby/Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair and a pair of Black Storm Clownfish in the tank. I definitely plan on getting a Possum Wrasse, but will add that last. So that leaves room for about one more fish. I’ve looked at hawkfish and am not sure if they would make my goby/shrimp mad being low in the tank, or if it would be aggressive towards the others. I was thinking possibly another type of goby like a clown goby, or maybe a blenny but not sure if either of those would work with a Randall’s goby.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to plan out the next fish or two that will go in my tank. It is a 20 gallon cube and currently has a Randall’s Goby/Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair and a pair of Black Storm Clownfish in the tank. I definitely plan on getting a Possum Wrasse, but will add that last. So that leaves room for about one more fish. I’ve looked at hawkfish and am not sure if they would make my goby/shrimp mad being low in the tank, or if it would be aggressive towards the others. I was thinking possibly another type of goby like a clown goby, or maybe a blenny but not sure if either of those would work with a Randall’s goby.
One goby and that’s it otherwise you will have major aggression in that tank that you don’t want. Hawk fish are in my personal opinion mean and bully’s have you looked into a lawnmower blenny? There very full of personality!!!

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just dug a little deeper into possum wrasses and they seem to be more hassle than I originally thought. I do like blennys but not a fan of the lawnmower, kinda ugly imo lol, but I do like the Midas Blenny. What do you think about a Midas Blenny and a Firefish Helfrichi with my current stocking?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just dug a little deeper into possum wrasses and they seem to be more hassle than I originally thought. I do like blennys but not a fan of the lawnmower, kinda ugly imo lol, but I do like the Midas Blenny. What do you think about a Midas Blenny and a Firefish Helfrichi with my current stocking?

I think that is fine. Just make sure you have a mesh lid

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they’re uglier than sin but by god they’re the funniest and most neat fish I’ve probably ever owned in my life!!! There ugly but there also cute lol.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they’re uglier than sin but by god they’re the funniest and most neat fish I’ve probably ever owned in my life!!! There ugly but there also cute lol.

I love lawnmower blennies :)

However, I am trying to focus on only getting captive bred fish in the future

OP
OP
AllAmericanReefs

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One goby and that’s it otherwise you will have major aggression in that tank that you don’t want.
I thought the aggression between gobies was only with those that look similar. If I got a Clown Goby with a Randall’s Goby, I thought there’d be no issue since they have very different looks in size and shape.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the clowns… that possum should be off the list. This is a genus that really doesn’t do well added last as they tend to die from stress. The more aggressive fish in the tank will add to this stress and therefore risk the chance of death more. I have an article on Pseudocheilinops ataenia which I believe goes into this in more detail (The Wetmorella genus is very close in care to the Pseudocheilinops).

One goby and that’s it otherwise you will have major aggression in that tank that you don’t want.
This is a complete lie.
Coming from someone who has had 6 gobies in the same tank (RS Max Nano - 20G cube). Aggression is usually only towards similar species of the same genus. So, in my Max Nano I had;
- 2x Trimma tevegae
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Discordipinna griessingeri
- Gobiodon acicularis
- Koumansetta hectori

Ontop of those 6 gobies, I had 3 other fish in the tank growing out. If the OP chooses correctly, they can definitely have several gobies in the same tank. This is a genus that isn’t highly aggressive towards other genera as long as you avoid;
Cryptocentrus
Valenciennea
Lythrypnus

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the clowns… that possum should be off the list. This is a genus that really doesn’t do well added last as they tend to die from stress. The more aggressive fish in the tank will add to this stress and therefore risk the chance of death more. I have an article on Pseudocheilinops ataenia which I believe goes into this in more detail (The Wetmorella genus is very close in care to the Pseudocheilinops).

This is a complete lie.
Coming from someone who has had 6 gobies in the same tank (RS Max Nano - 20G cube). Aggression is usually only towards similar species of the same genus. So, in my Max Nano I had;
- 2x Trimma tevegae
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Discordipinna griessingeri
- Gobiodon acicularis
- Koumansetta hectori

Ontop of those 6 gobies, I had 3 other fish in the tank growing out. If the OP chooses correctly, they can definitely have several gobies in the same tank. This is a genus that isn’t highly aggressive towards other genera as long as you avoid;
Cryptocentrus
Valenciennea
Lythrypnus
See with that I respectfully have to disagree. especially in such a small tank like a 20 gallon. I could maybe see that in a 100 gallon or something but not I’m a 20.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See with that I respectfully have to disagree. especially in such a small tank like a 20 gallon. I could maybe see that in a 100 gallon or something but not I’m a 20.
Each of these photos are linked. I have purposefully added them as each of them shows an hint of another goby in another photo.
51EAE52C-F261-4F0E-BC85-690EADD60433.jpeg

C5F5CEC3-4DDC-4664-80A1-6419748C2E1D.jpeg

895BDC85-79BE-438D-8F9C-3AD573BF538B.jpeg

5D91115E-CDCD-4EAC-824A-49E41335436B.jpeg

And an FTS of the tank that all of these gobies were in;
DCB66279-1A1E-41A0-92D2-51ED9AE007AA.jpeg

Believe what you want but I have given evidence of my success and even in my Build Thread for my journey with nano tanks there is much more evidence. It’s known that gobies can coexist and not have an outright war-zone in the tank. Many others have had and still do have different species of gobies coexisting and many of them are in tanks smaller than my old RS Max Nano.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your getting the possum wrasse that will be 4 fish in a 20. Personally I would keep it at 4, you risk unhappiness if you add another.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each of these photos are linked. I have purposefully added them as each of them shows an hint of another goby in another photo.
51EAE52C-F261-4F0E-BC85-690EADD60433.jpeg

C5F5CEC3-4DDC-4664-80A1-6419748C2E1D.jpeg

895BDC85-79BE-438D-8F9C-3AD573BF538B.jpeg

5D91115E-CDCD-4EAC-824A-49E41335436B.jpeg

And an FTS of the tank that all of these gobies were in;
DCB66279-1A1E-41A0-92D2-51ED9AE007AA.jpeg

Believe what you want but I have given evidence of my success and even in my Build Thread for my journey with nano tanks there is much more evidence. It’s known that gobies can coexist and not have an outright war-zone in the tank. Many others have had and still do have different species of gobies coexisting and many of them are in tanks smaller than my old RS Max Nano.
Again I said respectfully. It’s honestly all about opinion and how each goby’s attitudes are. Some can be peaceful like yours and some can be jerks lol it’s honestly up to the goby’s lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back