What fish?

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon saltwater tank. And I can't decide on what fish I would like to add!!
I have 3 sexy anemone shrimp, 3 rock flower anemones, a few snails, zoanthids, and star polyps so far.
The algae is getting a little built up on my substrate and my tank has been running for awhile.. I just can't decide on what fish I would like to add to my tank!
Open to suggestions and photos, please!
Thanks guys!
-KAT
dd9ea0f070b2b85ff2e0cebd9a69bb67.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neon dottyback, yellow watchman goby, a green clown goby, a blue damsel, small flame hawk.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a sucker for clown fish :)
the flame hawks are awesome. If you have a lid the pygmy wrasse or banded possum wrasse are really nice too.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flame hawks are awesome. If you have a lid the pygmy wrasse or banded possum wrasse are really nice too.
An ocellaris clown is a good choice too. With 15 gallons I was trying to keep the bio old with smaller fish with lots of mixed color but a single clown (which would be plenty happy) would be a good choice also IMO

OP
OP
Kristi Tinsley

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love clownfish, I love to watch them bond with anemone. I was wanting to do a pair of clowns, but unsure on the type since I have just a 15 gal. What would be the best decision for me? My fiancé really likes the orange and white, but I'm more into the unique looking ones, like pink skunks. Also I would love to be able to get them to host, but should I wait for the clowns and find an anemone first?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love clownfish, I love to watch them bond with anemone. I was wanting to do a pair of clowns, but unsure on the type since I have just a 15 gal. What would be the best decision for me? My fiancé really likes the orange and white, but I'm more into the unique looking ones, like pink skunks. Also I would love to be able to get them to host, but should I wait for the clowns and find an anemone first?
Pink skunk get pretty large and are very aggressive. A pair of clowns works but that takes a lot of your color diversity away due to bio load. But if you value you them that much then go for it!

I personally like to mix clowns, I have a typical orange ocellaris with a large black ocellaris girlfriend. You could mix designer clowns pretty easily if you wished to do so!

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That i know for sure, an Ocellaris clown is completely fine in a 15G, orange and white or you can get black and white ones., some of the others get pretty large. you can add an anemone before or after. a clown and anemone don't NEED each other to thrive in any way. I've had clowns that wouldn't go near my nem at all. I taped a picture of 2 clowns hosted by a nem and within 2 hours they were all over it. :) sometimes, nothing works and they will never go to them.

OP
OP
Kristi Tinsley

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink skunk get pretty large and are very aggressive. A pair of clowns works but that takes a lot of your color diversity away due to bio load. But if you value you them that much then go for it!

I personally like to mix clowns, I have a typical orange ocellaris with a large black ocellaris girlfriend. You could mix designer clowns pretty easily if you wished to do so!
Oh, I didn't know they were very aggressive. Thank you!
Yes, I love the designer clowns, but was too afraid they might get too big for my tank too quickly. My fiancé has a 30 gal reef tank and he has a female platinum clown and we're not sure if the male is just an ocellaris or a black because his orange is getting very dark as he is growing. But the platinum is so beautiful! And we only got her for $50 !

OP
OP
Kristi Tinsley

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That i know for sure, an Ocellaris clown is completely fine in a 15G, orange and white or you can get black and white ones., some of the others get pretty large. you can add an anemone before or after. a clown and anemone don't NEED each other to thrive in any way. I've had clowns that wouldn't go near my nem at all. I taped a picture of 2 clowns hosted by a nem and within 2 hours they were all over it. :) sometimes, nothing works and they will never go to them.
Awesome!! Right, I know they have to have one, but it such a beautiful thing to see them bond!
I do like the black ones, but the ones I've seen are very large. But quite the beauty.

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1463716781281-416454793.jpg

Did someone say something about a pink skunk clown?! I love mine. From my experience with mine is its not mean at all..in the slightest. The blue damsel I had on the other hand. That fish was a jerk. I'll never get another damsel again.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Right, I know they have to have one, but it such a beautiful thing to see them bond!
I do like the black ones, but the ones I've seen are very large. But quite the beauty.

Many designer clowns are ocellaris if you pay attention to the scientific name. Others are percula. You CAN mix them and they may well pair up as they're close cousins but it's safer to find clowns of same species although different color variants, IMO

Thus, they will not get any larger. If you saw large black ocellaris it was because they were female. My last pair the black was the male he stayed tiny!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did someone say something about a pink skunk clown?! I love mine. From my experience with mine is its not mean at all..in the slightest. The blue damsel I had on the other hand. That fish was a jerk. I'll never get another damsel again.
I've had several over the years. It typically took a few months to a year or so but then they became so aggressive they would tag my hand during cleanings and stuff

OP
OP
Kristi Tinsley

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So pretty!! Really? Is he by himself or do you have a pair?

OP
OP
Kristi Tinsley

Kristi Tinsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many designer clowns are ocellaris if you pay attention to the scientific name. Others are percula. You CAN mix them and they may well pair up as they're close cousins but it's safer to find clowns of same species although different color variants, IMO

Thus, they will not get any larger. If you saw large black ocellaris it was because they were female. My last pair the black was the male he stayed tiny!
Really? So exactly how big can an ocellaris get? Cause I've heard so many different answers on the sizes, I'm not sure which is right!
Yeah at one of my local specialty stores he had about five black clowns in one tank and they were all about four to five inches, but they were beautiful! Maroons are also gorgeous, but a few people have told me they are the biggest out of clowns and I shouldn't put those in my tank.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? So exactly how big can an ocellaris get? Cause I've heard so many different answers on the sizes, I'm not sure which is right!
Yeah at one of my local specialty stores he had about five black clowns in one tank and they were all about four to five inches, but they were beautiful! Maroons are also gorgeous, but a few people have told me they are the biggest out of clowns and I shouldn't put those in my tank.
4 or 5 inches is pretty full grown IMO. Some people keep them alive for more than a decade before they approach that size or bigger. I bought my clown pair two years ago at 2 and 2.25" and they're now 2.25 and 2.5-2.6

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back