What food do you use??

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I'm going to have to see if my LFS can get some of these. I haven't seen half of them like the frozen rotifers, mussels and plankton. Living in Canada I wonder if some of these are prohibited which is why I haven't seen them! That's an amazing selection!!

Like @Jekyl said, variety is good.

I also have 3 tanks with different needs. The predator tank gets more of the meaty foods and less of the veggie stuff. They all get some of everything though.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said the same thing and I live in Florida but I have not even seen half of those foods at my lfs
Wow, that's incredible to learn. I would've thought these would be seen throughout the US but especially Florida.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Jekyl said, variety is good.

I also have 3 tanks with different needs. The predator tank gets more of the meaty foods and less of the veggie stuff. They all get some of everything though.
That's amazing to see the variety you have access to! I want to move where you are. :) You have lucky aquatic friends. :)

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seapora spirulina brine and hikari mysis that i soak in vitachem every day, and dose phyto every day (when i have it). I also have vitalis platinum marine pellets that i use for supplemental feeding.

If you go for dry food, make sure it has a high moisture and protein content, as food that is hard doesn't have as many nutrients.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Omega brand stuff I can only find at Petsmart. I get that for the spirulina enriched brine shrimp specifically for my Bannerfish. He loves the stuff. The San Fransisco Bay Brand brine shrimp is not enriched with spirulina. The bannerfish diet is a little more limited than most of the others so I have to provide for that one fish needs.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of the hikari marine carnivore/omnivore pellets, TDO Chroma Boost pellets, and then sometimes the frozen foods like Mysis, Marine Cuisine, etc..

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing to see the variety you have access to! I want to move where you are. :) You have lucky aquatic friends. :)

I am very fortunate that the owner of my LFS is more interested in happy customers than profit. His prices are better than ANYWHERE else I have seen within 200 miles of my home. He even beats most Amazon deals.

He also has 3 freezers of different frozen foods. One of them is dedicated to the larger blocks like silversides and such, the other 2 have all of the cube packs.

The blocks are cheaper, but more of a pain to work with for me. I find it easier to just pop out the cubes I need and done.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Fresh for salt , Omega one super color cichlid -- if your fish eat pellets mine attack this stuff , obliviously get it fresh as possible

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! I'm going to have to see if my LFS can get some of these. I haven't seen half of them like the frozen rotifers, mussels and plankton. Living in Canada I wonder if some of these are prohibited which is why I haven't seen them! That's an amazing selection!!
Same, Toronto, as you know we have a dozen stores less than an hour, not one have I ever seen this stuff.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a mix of five pellets, nori, frozen mysis, frozen krill, and PE flake.
For my mix I use equal parts:
PE pellets 2mm size
Neptune tdo
Nyos True Algae
Nyos Sweet Aloe
Nyos Wild Goji

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using the Nyos products, for some reason I haven’t heard of them until today, worth picking up it seems?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, Toronto, as you know we have a dozen stores less than an hour, not one have I ever seen this stuff.
Yes, exactly! All of the lfs's in and around Toronto that I have been to have the same few options available from these companies. I had no idea these companies had such a robust offering! I haven't even seen these available in stores in other provinces I'm going to reach out to them to see if they can get these in!! If these were available to us we probably wouldn't have to add supplements to the food. :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, exactly! All of the lfs's in and around Toronto that I have been to have the same few options available from these companies. I had no idea these companies had such a robust offering! I haven't even seen these available in stores in other provinces I'm going to reach out to them to see if they can get these in!! If these were available to us we probably wouldn't have to add supplements to the food. :)
Making your own is always a good option. Various raw seafood and some nori blended and frozen

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps it is a simple matter of demand? If enough people ask for it, maybe they will start stocking.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making your own is always a good option. Various raw seafood and some nori blended and frozen

I like this idea, but in my own tank, the results were not so good.

I got a bag of frozen squid chunks, and a bag of bay scallops to try and make food for my predator tank. tried feeding the pieces whole and blended into bits. The fish flat ignored it.

I always have frozen shrimp in the freezer and the fish don't care much for those either. Again, whole, blended, same result.

If you are able to make your own then awesome!! For me it was a failed experiment (but a few tasty meals for me after... haha)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back