What food do you use??

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea, but in my own tank, the results were not so good.

I got a bag of frozen squid chunks, and a bag of bay scallops to try and make food for my predator tank. tried feeding the pieces whole and blended into bits. The fish flat ignored it.

I always have frozen shrimp in the freezer and the fish don't care much for those either. Again, whole, blended, same result.

If you are able to make your own then awesome!! For me it was a failed experiment (but a few tasty meals for me after... haha)
maybe try adding some garlic next time you make it?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making your own is always a good option. Various raw seafood and some nori blended and frozen
Absolutely true but to be honest, now knowing the breadth of frozen food available, I would prefer to just buy it. I spend a lot of time keeping my live food cultures going that adding stuff to my shopping list to make food is just too much. :) If I couldn't buy it then possibly, but seeing all of that food that is available to buy I would rather do that. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is a simple matter of demand? If enough people ask for it, maybe they will start stocking.
What I discovered in this thread (and it appears to be the same with others who have posted here) is that I don't know what I don't know. Haha. Had I known these were available I would've asked my LFS about them ages ago. LOL. I'm emailing my LFS a list right now. :)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I feed dry food is when I am away, wItch sometimes it's often. I freed live black worms and live white worms, I also buy fresh clams freeze the and use a razor blade to thinly slice them. And when I am lazy I feed Rods food.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vitalis algae pellets and platinum pellets along with Vitalis flake algae and platinum and the rings for the tangs, mysis shrimp and masstick. Usually 4 types per day. Seems some of my guys prefer one over the other.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried https://fragbox.ca/product-category/dry/food/frozen-foods/?
If they don’t have it they maybe able to order it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to Fragbox before and I don't recall seeing them. I usually shop at Candy Corals and even they don't carry them and they have big fridges. I will check with Candy Corals first. If it doesn't work out to get them there I will try Fragbox although personally I think all of the stores should carry at least some of this more robust selection. :) Even the frozen plankton would be so helpful to feed pods and other such creatures that eat phyto instead of trying to culture live or buy live.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis and home made frozen: shrimp, clams and scallops
20220504_125934.jpg
20220504_132509.jpg

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one LFS close to me and yes they have frenzy frozen food and a few other but not as big of a selection as Jedi posted. There is a PetSmart by me but the spirulina brine shrimp protein % is like 90% water and less than 10% actual protein. Maybe I need to travel to the marine for warehouse here in Tampa Florida but it's a hour drive each way smh. My fish love the new life spectrum pellets and as I said before the PE mysis are just way to big for them they don't even touch it. I'm going to mf LFS tomorrow since it is my day off and I'm going to do some search and destroy lol. Thanks everybody for the replies and tips. Happy reefing

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near Tampa & I find a good variety at Coral Corral & Marine Warehouse.
Yes I was just thinking I need to go to marine warehouse. But it's a hour each way smh. I know they have awesome variety of fish corals and all and have awesome reviews

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one LFS close to me and yes they have frenzy frozen food and a few other but not as big of a selection as Jedi posted. There is a PetSmart by me but the spirulina brine shrimp protein % is like 90% water and less than 10% actual protein. Maybe I need to travel to the marine for warehouse here in Tampa Florida but it's a hour drive each way smh. My fish love the new life spectrum pellets and as I said before the PE mysis are just way to big for them they don't even touch it. I'm going to mf LFS tomorrow since it is my day off and I'm going to do some search and destroy lol. Thanks everybody for the replies and tips. Happy reefing
I never realized that I had so much more availability of foods than others. @vetteguy53081 has most of the same stuff I do only a lot of his is dried and not frozen.

My LFS has more stuff in stock that I haven't even tried yet...

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell them to ship me some here in Florida hahaha. And my LFS can get certain things like fish or coral I just have to ask so they can order it or what not. Guess that's my mission tomorrow on my off day is to try and find some new and different variety food for my tank. They love their new life spectrum pellets with garlic and it's loaded with alot of good things for them but I know they need diversity in their foods.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g w/firefish, TS blenny, nem crab, gr porc crab, 2x sexy shrimp, pom pom crab, crocea clam, 4x RFA, 1x torch, 1x hammer, 1x octo, gold gorgonian, mint pavona ... I target feed all of these Mon through Fri with the "Soup" == 350uL Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast + 350uL Reef Nutrition ROE eggs + 350uL Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast + 150uL Reef Nutrition Dead Phyto Feast + 10x Med TDO Pellets (1x to each RFA and crab, rest to firefish) + ~20x Sm TDO Pellets (mostly to TS blenny and Firefish).

13.5g w/2x clowns, 1x fire shrimp, 1x naughty blue leg, mixed corals: roughly same as above, but swap TDO for NLS TheraA pellets, because the clowns won't eat TDO. Also flakes every blue moon when the clowns have been particularly well-behaved.

I've become quite a fan of Reef Nutrition.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same pellets the new life spectrum thera with garlic all my fish loooveeeee it. But just want to add a little diversity to their diet

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recommended reef nutrition over reef roids as they said it does not add phosphate to your tank as reef roids does

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have been feeding HPD for about 6 months now. I always add a little reef chili and chopped up nori, and also a bag clip of nori for them to graze on through the day. My fish go crazy for this stuff, and since using it my corals look happier to.
I used to get shrimp from Costco as it was the same as I could get at the lfs but with the price the lfs was out. Costco 2lbs $19
lfs 8oz $10
I think I'll stick with the HPD unless it becomes unavailable

Happy reefing everyone.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to Asian markets and buy a assortment of raw seafoods and throw it into a food processor frozen/raw …. I then put that into ice cube trays and freeze, or I flatten it into a freezer baggie to break off thin chunks…
..sometimes I mix in Freeze dried mysis and/or live fish ulva if I have it …

For dry I like NLS pellets and Formula 2 pellets medium and small (BOTH sizes!!!)

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use usually along with the new life spectrum pellets, I soak frozen with selcom and pellets with vita-chem I feed the fish 2-3 times per day. Sometimes I’ll get reef frenzy by LRS

1655465691625.jpeg 1655465748061.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back