What food do you use??

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been to Fragbox before and I don't recall seeing them. I usually shop at Candy Corals and even they don't carry them and they have big fridges. I will check with Candy Corals first. If it doesn't work out to get them there I will try Fragbox although personally I think all of the stores should carry at least some of this more robust selection. :) Even the frozen plankton would be so helpful to feed pods and other such creatures that eat phyto instead of trying to culture live or buy live.
To be fair I think there has been a greater emphasis lately on feeding a wider variety of high quality foods and the impact that can have on the health & vitality of our fish & other creatures in our tanks. I know there have been a couple of videos lately - one from BRS that got me thinking about what I was feeding.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! My rank has recently been set up and so far I only have 2 small clowns, some cerith snails and a few hermit crabs.

Right now I’m alternating between reef frenzy and pellets. However, these pellets are too large for my small clowns so I mash a few of them up before feeding them.

We’re going on vacation soon and I need to get some small pellets for my auto feeder. Any suggestions?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! My rank has recently been set up and so far I only have 2 small clowns, some cerith snails and a few hermit crabs.

Right now I’m alternating between reef frenzy and pellets. However, these pellets are too large for my small clowns so I mash a few of them up before feeding them.

We’re going on vacation soon and I need to get some small pellets for my auto feeder. Any suggestions?
TDO comes in very small sizes of pellets
Screenshot (128).png

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one LFS close to me and yes they have frenzy frozen food and a few other but not as big of a selection as Jedi posted. There is a PetSmart by me but the spirulina brine shrimp protein % is like 90% water and less than 10% actual protein. Maybe I need to travel to the marine for warehouse here in Tampa Florida but it's a hour drive each way smh. My fish love the new life spectrum pellets and as I said before the PE mysis are just way to big for them they don't even touch it. I'm going to mf LFS tomorrow since it is my day off and I'm going to do some search and destroy lol. Thanks everybody for the replies and tips. Happy reefing
With regards to the moisture and protein content, when looking at foods for pets (fish, cats, dogs, etc.), it's a good idea to look at the dry matter basis of the guaranteed analysis. To state it simply, frozen foods and wet foods show super low protein and fat contents on their guaranteed analysis labels when compared to dry foods - this isn't because they're lower quality or less healthy, it's just that they have more moisture in the mix. To compare apples to apples protein and fat of frozen/wet vs dry foods, you take the dry matter basis of each factor (protein on its own and fat on its own once you've accounted for moisture).

For example, San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp lists the following guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein (Min): 3.7%
Crude Fat (Min): 1.2%
Crude Fiber (Max): 1.6%
Moisture (Max): 94.8%
Ash (Max): 0.2%
Phosphorus (Min): 0.1%

Looks very not nutritious. But, when you account for the moisture by taking the dry matter basis, you realize that that 3.7% protein is 3.7 out of 5.2 (the actual amount of food in the pack; i.e. the percent of the food that isn't moisture like the water used to hold the frozen food together or to keep the meat in the cat food can fresh). So, looking at the dry matter basis, 3.7/5.2 = 0.71 (rounded for simplicity's sake) - times this by 100 to get the percentage and you get a dry matter basis of 71% Crude Protein content. So, while it looks unhealthy at first glance, when you look at just the food in the food packet and not the moisture plus the food, you find out that the food is actually fairly healthy.

Because of this, a lot of frozen/wet pet foods look worthless at first glance, but some of them are actually top of the line foods when compared to dry foods this way. The only real downside of frozen/wet foods is that - because of the high moisture content - you might not always be getting as much food pound for pound as buying dry (i.e. one lb of dry food is going to have a lot more actual food in the container than one lb of frozen/wet food because of the lower moisture content). This really just means that frozen/wet foods are generally more expensive.

TLDR: Frozen/wet pet foods look unhealthy, but, accounting for moisture, they're usually high quality. They're just expensive too.

Last edited:

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I currently have in the house. Plus dried flakes & different size pellets & nori & algae wafers.
E76CF3B3-6A9D-4FF4-B947-AD22C0F00143.jpeg

Tofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have switched to feeding the tank with .
Reef Nutrition Mysis feast
Reef Nutrition Roti Feast
Reef Nutrition Oyster feast
Reef Nutrition ROE
Reef Nutrition TDO Chromosome Boost pellets.

Last edited:

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up picking up what seemed to be the two most popular nyos flavors in this thread..initial thoughts is they feel like little bits of beef jerky lol
Fish seem to like them so far
2283F6D2-630A-44A6-9900-E6B4F724FCB2.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back