What GHL programing improvements would you like to see?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can definitely improve with updating. letting us know when firmware is available, changes. and most definitely if they want us (who are already $3k deep in GHL) to continue to go deeper. need to give some discount codes for additional purchases not just to sucking in NEW users with computers. like cyber and black friday. this year was absolutely sad. competitors had a nice sale for their current users. :(

i can complain and wish all day.. still wont help me keep an acro alive ahaha.
It’s the difference between US and EU marketing sadly.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, simple programming is not an issue. My tank is completely automated to the point I am able to travel a month at a time with no worries which I had to do several times last year. That becomes the problem of trying to program everything using ghl's awful software.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can definitely improve with updating. letting us know when firmware is available, changes. and most definitely if they want us (who are already $3k deep in GHL) to continue to go deeper. need to give some discount codes for additional purchases not just to sucking in NEW users with computers. like cyber and black friday. this year was absolutely sad. competitors had a nice sale for their current users. :(

i can complain and wish all day.. still wont help me keep an acro alive ahaha.
It’s the difference between US and EU marketing sadly.

You do realise that you US folks already get about a 15% discount on everything compared to the European market?!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may or may not have been said yet, but I would like to see a interface much like what Neptune has. I feel, from what I have seen as I do not have a GHL personally, that the programming can be much less forgiving. If they come out with that then it will be a game changer, IMO.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, this can’t be changed. The wifi is a different chip/module from the cpu/module that does all the stuff in a p4. Think of it like the p4 being a car, and the wifi module is hooked onto it as a trailer. They do basic communication, but they’re standalone hardware/software. That said, there could be a PC/MAC program that updates both after each-other in one shot over USB/Serial. Not possible from the app (as that only communicates with the wifi module)

3, The emails are not sent through your ISP as an email. The p4 signals the ghl cloud servers and those are what are sending the emails. So your ISP can’t be blocking it - or if they are, then the whole ghl cloud thing wouldn’t be working from your home.
Edit: I’m not 100% (only 99) sure right now if the signaling of the cloud servers is done via http or smtp (later could be blocked by your isp), but will check it later and report back. So take this with a grain of salt for now.

1) there could be 1 program running you’re right...which was my point, they simply don’t care about making things simple

2) P4 uses SMTP, it basically logs into an email account to send an email - pain to set up with most email services, I used to get constant gmail alerts that my account was accessed from an unusual location in Germany... and since my ISP change I can’t get to work at all. Kind of defeats the purpose for a controller that can’t even send alerts...

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may or may not have been said yet, but I would like to see a interface much like what Neptune has. I feel, from what I have seen as I do not have a GHL personally, that the programming can be much less forgiving. If they come out with that then it will be a game changer, IMO.

Very well said. Honestly, if Neptune had a discount for P4 users I’d switch solely because of fusion...

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I can be at work and somehow log in to check my tank status. Like ph salt temp orp etc. Not saying able to change settings from 70 miles away but check current live stats. Ans I'd there is a way. I have no idea how. Ahahah

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything!

I will reiterate what I would love to see happen:

1- setup wizards! From installation to even each task the user would like to setup. Especially WiFi setup. They would do such a great service to themselves and their sales numbers if they made it user friendly and intuitive. The quality is top notch, but setup is a nightmare and can be daunting for potential customers.

2- eliminate the need for setup through a PC. Become completely mobile platform compatible across different systems (apple, Android, etc)

Personally, if they made it user friendly and intuitive, I would actually switch from my current controller ecosystem to all GHl. But just the setup to get a doser up connected and running has been a cumbersome task for me especially since I do not own a PC and do not have the ability to setup static’s IP’s as per my internet provider.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I can be at work and somehow log in to check my tank status. Like ph salt temp orp etc. Not saying able to change settings from 70 miles away but check current live stats. Ans I'd there is a way. I have no idea how. Ahahah
You should be able to do this with the GHL connect app.. I can access my tank anywhere and turn sockets off / check sensors and whatnot

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can when I'm on the same wifi. but leaving the house, I cant see anything
Then it must be one of the many networking errors lol. That’s strange have even switched routers and never hooked the new one up to my p4 and still can see that stuff... ignore the salinity probe lol got a new one coming!

C3527124-7BCA-4CE2-A720-7092D627210D.png

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it must be one of the many networking errors lol. That’s strange have even switched routers and never hooked the new one up to my p4 and still can see that stuff... ignore the salinity probe lol got a new one coming!

C3527124-7BCA-4CE2-A720-7092D627210D.png
Oh you know what. Your right. Look I learn something new every day. I tries to log on my app under the wifi one. But if I go down and click on my actually p4. It connects. I never ever knew that or tried. What the heck!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you know what. Your right. Look I learn something new every day. I tries to log on my app under the wifi one. But if I go down and click on my actually p4. It connects. I never ever knew that or tried. What the heck!
So glad to help... didn’t want that to turn into “ well I can do it but you can’t”

congrats!

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like more controls like the KHD provides on other measurement values. For instance ORP. With this ability you could control a carbon (ethanol) based denitrification filter and adjust flow and carbon dosing based on percentage deviation from nominal making it always run at maximum efficiency.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) there could be 1 program running you’re right...which was my point, they simply don’t care about making things simple

2) P4 uses SMTP, it basically logs into an email account to send an email - pain to set up with most email services, I used to get constant gmail alerts that my account was accessed from an unusual location in Germany... and since my ISP change I can’t get to work at all. Kind of defeats the purpose for a controller that can’t even send alerts...

This is how the P4 sends email: P4 -> GHL Cloud servers -> Your source SMTP account (the one that you enter into the interface with the password and port) -> Destination SMTP account (an e-mail address you want to recieve the notifications to).

The WiFi module in the P4 is not able to send encrypted emails directly, it just doesn't have the grunt to do ssl, so that's why it relays everything through the german servers.

It's a very-very big stretch to say that it can't send emails _at all_ because your isp blocks it, because that's not the case. You can easily set up for example, a gmail account dedicated for the P4 (as the SOURCE), and use literally ANY destination e-mail address as the recepient - so basicly your everyday email account.

So let's just say, it's 100% independent from your ISP, and unless you want to send emails like: [email protected] -> [email protected], BUT you're okay with [email protected] -> [email protected], then it's really stretching/whining.

Edit: sorry 'bout the phrasing.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything!

I will reiterate what I would love to see happen:

1- setup wizards! From installation to even each task the user would like to setup. Especially WiFi setup. They would do such a great service to themselves and their sales numbers if they made it user friendly and intuitive. The quality is top notch, but setup is a nightmare and can be daunting for potential customers.

2- eliminate the need for setup through a PC. Become completely mobile platform compatible across different systems (apple, Android, etc)

Personally, if they made it user friendly and intuitive, I would actually switch from my current controller ecosystem to all GHl. But just the setup to get a doser up connected and running has been a cumbersome task for me especially since I do not own a PC and do not have the ability to setup static’s IP’s as per my internet provider.
To be fair, you could install windows, either virtualized or parallel booted on a mac as well to do that 1 time setup when an usb cable is needed / fw upgrades.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. That's what the GHL cloud is for. Or if that isn't good enough you could forward a port on your router & setup dynamic dns and access it directly from everywhere - unencrypted though in this case, unless you set up a reverse-proxy as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back