What GHL programing improvements would you like to see?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of late I have been able to work not only on my GHL program but helped others. I can honestly say, GHL needs to make some improvements and fast. It’s 2020 soon and if GHL will stay relivant the programming needs major improvements. To many stories about people complaining about the programing. It’s really time to get on it.

1. Socket/switch programming improvements. For instance having a global delay restart on the switch. Basically, if a switch is shut off either by power failure, feeding timer or maintenance that switch doesn’t restart till a set delay time of say 5-15 min. The present method of setting Programable logic for Maint and feed modes is a trail no owner should need to endure. This would be highly useful for ATO and Skimmer delay starts.

2. When a person Mouse overs a task on the screen a help pop up opens with clear direction on how a function works and a sample of how it works. There are way to many un documented check boxs.

3. Improved WiFi set up.. lots needs to be done here. Spending hours at a persons place to get this functioning is ridiculous.

4. The ability to run 2-4 full systems from 1 profilux. Running more than 1 KHD or ION director.

5. Step by step set up wizards to get things working. Skimmer, ATO, AWC, KHD, IOD.. online videos are fine but people should be able to do everything right in front of them without having to go search out videos. If your going to have online videos create more. At minimum hyperlink to the video for the item at hand.

Below, Things that are in work but need addressing soon. Guessing these will be in the updates for the ION.

1. dosing container size needs to be increased and needs to be in either metric or imperial. Heck, I have 60 and 50 gallon containers for my AWC and ATO.
2. more dosing heads

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. I agree their software could use some refinement. Ease of use etc. It took me a bit to learn their system. I still cringe when I have to set something up.Once you get used to it, it's not bad. I will say one thing.Once it's set it's set. No having to go back and fiddle with things.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have specific programming as I barely use my P4. the following are pain points for me:

1) Updates - firmware, WiFi module and GHL control center all need to be upgraded separately every few months. There’s no notice in the app that a new version

2) UX needs an overhaul - app not very user friendly, I’ve never been able to get the charts to work without significant delays. Overall need to make it more cloud based, I’m keeping an old laptop just for P4...

3) No app alerts, you have to set up a convoluted emailing system by opening ports that many ISPs block by default - I can’t even do it anymore

4) Probe calibration still can’t be done from the app

5) Setting almost anything up is a long process with (skimmer overflow sensor, GHL fan, don’t even get me started on the leak detectors..)

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points. I agree their software could use some refinement. Ease of use etc. It took me a bit to learn their system. I still cringe when I have to set something up.Once you get used to it, it's not bad. I will say one thing.Once it's set it's set. No having to go back and fiddle with things.
Unless you go help someone set up theres.. LOL.. I also cringe anytime I need to make changes.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t need to see a cringe— I can tell when you make changes by the quantity of threads in the GHL forum!:D
That’s the second time you’ve “commented” on my number of posts in the GHL forum. I would suggest if you object or would prefer to see less just set me to ignore. Never the less your comment isn’t really adding to this topic now is it? If your happy with the GHL status quo.. good for you.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add him to your ignore list if his comments bother you, control what you can control.

I don’t use my Profilux for much more than a glorified timer, probes, and temperature control. If I requested anything it’d be #s 2 and 5 in your list. Help text and wizards would certainly make it easier.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all know it's Christmas? Let's be civil for one day.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the second time you’ve “commented” on my number of posts in the GHL forum. I would suggest if you object or would prefer to see less just set me to ignore. Never the less your comment isn’t really adding to this topic now is it? If your happy with the GHL status quo.. good for you.

Sorry, was a joke. no insult was intended, didn’t realize I said it before.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have specific programming as I barely use my P4. the following are pain points for me:

1) Updates - firmware, WiFi module and GHL control center all need to be upgraded separately every few months. There’s no notice in the app that a new version

2) UX needs an overhaul - app not very user friendly, I’ve never been able to get the charts to work without significant delays. Overall need to make it more cloud based, I’m keeping an old laptop just for P4...

3) No app alerts, you have to set up a convoluted emailing system by opening ports that many ISPs block by default - I can’t even do it anymore

5) Setting almost anything up is a long process with (skimmer overflow sensor, GHL fan, don’t even get me started on the leak detectors..)
lol got 3 leak sensors coming in.. uh oh

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a few points you’ve brought up are great. I do not know if or when I have any update ( usually don’t update unless something goes wrong and the question comes “have you upgraded?”) it’s just a hassle and should not be as difficult as it is.. searching through download pages and whatnot.. seeing what driver I have and going from there. Would be great to have updates push and or have them sitting in a queue.

I would like more use from the app as like others say I feel my p4 currently is an expensive temp probe ( I have a new salinity probe coming as mine died and never replaced it, ph probe is in and works but I don’t do anything with ph it’s just a number along with orp which I still don’t get / understand why I have it.... lol

I look forward to getting new equipment however the lack of straight forward-ness is a little annoying...

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't find the programming hard, but I agree some improvements are needed.
  1. Agree with your 1 and 3. On the networking end people seam to have the most issues with getting the equipment on-line.
  2. Alarm Settings - They are based off of a calculation. It would be nice if you could just enter the values you want the thing to alarm at.
  3. Notifications - Not really programming related, but there has to be a better way than having it go through your own email account. I setup a dedicated email account so I didn't have to enter the password for any of my email accounts. The dedicated email I setup has been locked out at least twice due to the GHL emails being deemed suspicious.
  4. Heartbeat - Again not really programming related, but the controller needs a heartbeat to notify you when communication is lost with the GHL servers. You could loose communication and not know until you go to log into your P4 remotely and can't connect. You would also not be getting any alarm notifications.
  5. Updates - They need to send out notifications when updates are available. I'd prefer and email or app alert, vice having to happen to see notifications about them on a forum or social media.
  6. Dropdown Menus - Please put them in alphabetical order.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought of another item.

For instance when you open a menu in GCC.. Timers for instance. I want to see the description of the timer. Having it list Timers 1-100 doesn’t help.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought of another item.

For instance when you open a menu in GCC.. Timers for instance. I want to see the description of the timer. Having it list Timers 1-100 doesn’t help.
I don't see that as a problem. I'm used to how they do things. Never used Apex though.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1, this can’t be changed. The wifi is a different chip/module from the cpu/module that does all the stuff in a p4. Think of it like the p4 being a car, and the wifi module is hooked onto it as a trailer. They do basic communication, but they’re standalone hardware/software. That said, there could be a PC/MAC program that updates both after each-other in one shot over USB/Serial. Not possible from the app (as that only communicates with the wifi module)

3, The emails are not sent through your ISP as an email. The p4 signals the ghl cloud servers and those are what are sending the emails. So your ISP can’t be blocking it - or if they are, then the whole ghl cloud thing wouldn’t be working from your home.
Edit: I’m not 100% (only 99) sure right now if the signaling of the cloud servers is done via http or smtp (later could be blocked by your isp), but will check it later and report back. So take this with a grain of salt for now.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of late I have been able to work not only on my GHL program but helped others. I can honestly say, GHL needs to make some improvements and fast. It’s 2020 soon and if GHL will stay relivant the programming needs major improvements. To many stories about people complaining about the programing. It’s really time to get on it.

1. Socket/switch programming improvements. For instance having a global delay restart on the switch. Basically, if a switch is shut off either by power failure, feeding timer or maintenance that switch doesn’t restart till a set delay time of say 5-15 min. The present method of setting Programable logic for Maint and feed modes is a trail no owner should need to endure. This would be highly useful for ATO and Skimmer delay starts.

2. When a person Mouse overs a task on the screen a help pop up opens with clear direction on how a function works and a sample of how it works. There are way to many un documented check boxs.

3. Improved WiFi set up.. lots needs to be done here. Spending hours at a persons place to get this functioning is ridiculous.

4. The ability to run 2-4 full systems from 1 profilux. Running more than 1 KHD or ION director.

5. Step by step set up wizards to get things working. Skimmer, ATO, AWC, KHD, IOD.. online videos are fine but people should be able to do everything right in front of them without having to go search out videos. If your going to have online videos create more. At minimum hyperlink to the video for the item at hand.

Below, Things that are in work but need addressing soon. Guessing these will be in the updates for the ION.

1. dosing container size needs to be increased and needs to be in either metric or imperial. Heck, I have 60 and 50 gallon containers for my AWC and ATO.
2. more dosing heads

3, as a network engineer I have to tell everyone that the wifi part isn’t that difficult at all. The problems come when using poor wifi/network equipment, especially the ones that isp’s give out for their service for “free”, or ones you buy in dollar stores. Even though the wifi module in the profilux is a poor choice IMO (it has a very poor radio and antenna), you can’t expect great connection from $10-50 wifi access points and routers, when proper wifi networks cost $1000’s to implement. But there are great radios on the market, one brand being Ubiquity, that is a good bit above those that I’ve mentioned earlier, still it won’t blow the bank. It still has to be placed smart, so basicly in the same room as the p4 to get a 100% stable connection. It’s also a must to avoid using wifi repeaters, and do proper cabling to the ap’s/routers as much as it hurts.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is none of us want to be a network engineer. Yes, programming the ghl is as simple as wasting several hours googling, reading the ghl forums (also translating half of it into english) and if by luck of everything in this universe a youtube video has been created then it couldn't be any easier.

As for me simple is all I want. Click a button and your done. Get it together ghl before you become obsolete.

20191226_053349.jpg 20191226_053518.jpg 20191226_053545.jpg Screenshot_20191226-053635_Apex Fusion.jpg

Keep in mind this can all be done wirelessly from your phone or tablet. No networking degree required. So simple my 4 year old could set it up and I'm not a fanboy as I think they all could use major improvements and I'm not loyal to any of them. I just want something that works and isn't a huge waste of my time.

Sorry, End of rant. It just frustrates me a little after spending 1000's on ghl equipment for their software to be so lame. I realize this is a niche product and no one is going to get rich from selling it but please put a little more R&D into your software GHL. It's like going back to MSDOS a decade after windows 10 has been out. I sound like an old geezer now. ;)

Last edited:

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can definitely improve with updating. letting us know when firmware is available, changes. and most definitely if they want us (who are already $3k deep in GHL) to continue to go deeper. need to give some discount codes for additional purchases not just to sucking in NEW users with computers. like cyber and black friday. this year was absolutely sad. competitors had a nice sale for their current users. :(

i can complain and wish all day.. still wont help me keep an acro alive ahaha.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is none of us want to be a network engineer. Yes, programming the ghl is as simple as wasting several hours googling, reading the ghl forums (also translating half of it into english) and if by luck of everything in this universe a youtube video has been created then it couldn't be any easier.

As for me simple is all I want. Click a button and your done. Get it together ghl before you become obsolete.

20191226_053349.jpg 20191226_053518.jpg 20191226_053545.jpg Screenshot_20191226-053635_Apex Fusion.jpg

Keep in mind this can all be done wirelessly from your phone or tablet. No networking degree required. So simple my 4 year old could set it up and I'm not a fanboy as I think they all could use major improvements and I'm not loyal to any of them. I just want something that works and isn't a huge waste of my time.

Sorry, End of rant. It just frustrates me a little after spending 1000's on ghl equipment for their software to be so lame. I realize this is a niche product and no one is going to get rich from selling it but please put a little more R&D into your software GHL. It's like going back to MSDOS a decade after windows 10 has been out. I sound like an old geezer now. ;)
I agree that it shouldn’t require a network engineer:) That said, I’ve had mine up and running in half an hour with a couple accessories and 6 1-10V ports, breakout box and what not. I find it very easy to configure. I’ve never had an apex so can’t relate, but I’d rather spend more time on programming, than having to worry about a powerbar or whatnot failure. It’s not like you need to reprogram these things every day. They go months without changing the config really.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back