What got you started?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first introduction to aquariums started when I won a goldfish at the fair back in (dare I say it) like 1984... Brought it home, bought a 10 gallon tank to keep him in and watched it die in a couple weeks.. I really had NO clue back then. FFWD a few years... I am 19, got a job in a local cabinet shop, several of my co-workers were into aquariums. Most of those guys had saltwater tanks so I began my journey. Started off with a new 30G tank and freshwater.. then soon converted that to salt.. Found a great deal in the local classifieds on a 55G tank.. OMG this tank is HUGE!! haha.. set that up as a salt tank and spent the next couple years systematically killing off fish. There was no internet in the early 90s, no youtube, no forums, and cell phones were huge car mounted monstrosities that you were charged by the minute to use.. Heck this was even back when having a "beeper" was a luxury. OMG a CD player was something only the privileged people owned!! HAHAHA. I gave up on salt water after an obscene amount of money and a death rate to match, but never gave up my love for aquariums. I have kept a happy healthy freshwater tank for most of the last 2 decades. and now I am at a point where I feel comfortable with attempting a true reef tank.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. haha

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1997, six months out of high school, I was taking some classes at a tech school and had a few hours to burn between classes. There was a fish store nearby and I went in. Within a week I had a 30 gallon tank. I took that with me when I went to school at a university.

Then I got a 55 while away at college....and moved it every year between apartments and from apartment to apartment in my first five or so years in Chicago. That tank probably got moved over ten times. There were a few summers where I stayed in an apartment for just a few months.

I upgraded to a 90 when I settled down a bit and a 210 after I bought a place. My triggerfish, Gary, that I have today, made every move since 2003. I still have live rock in my tank that I’ve had since 1997....and it’s been wet this whole time!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
230 gal ?
Looks like the 90 gallon? Let's shout a heck ya for @brittneykaiser breaking the barrier.... in all honesty a larger setup is going to bring much more flexibility, but more importantly, sustainability long term. Congrats on the new purchase.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1997, six months out of high school, I was taking some classes at a tech school and had a few hours to burn between classes. There was a fish store nearby and I went in. Within a week I had a 30 gallon tank. I took that with me when I went to school at a university.

Then I got a 55 while away at college....and moved it every year between apartments and from apartment to apartment in my first five or so years in Chicago. That tank probably got moved over ten times. There were a few summers where I stayed in an apartment for just a few months.

I upgraded to a 90 when I settled down a bit and a 210 after I bought a place. My triggerfish, Gary, that I have today, made every move since 2003. I still have live rock in my tank that I’ve had since 1997....and it’s been wet this whole time!
Wow....this is special. I am still at your 90 stage lol, but always dream ....the moves! I did it once 15 years ago and was nervous, it was about an hour and my tank was in rubbermaid containers in back of my pickup....most made the journey unharmed....17 years my Tang and Clown, 16 a Stripped Damsel I wanted to rid of.....been a model citizen though...as you mention the live rock. Mine is right around the same vintage 97-98. I have never replaced or supplemented any of it...... Wild....

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fond memory of scuba diving a reef as a teenager and swimming up to a "cleaning station." There was a huge grouper that we started petting, and to my surprise it allowed the touch and even rolled over like a dog. :)

Can't afford a monster tank for a grouper, but it's just amazing how diversity there is in a reef, even in a little aquarium. I've kept other aquariums, but to me a reef tank is just pinnacle of diversity and it's amazing how many different kinds of life you can pack even into a small cube.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the 90 gallon? Let's shout a heck ya for @brittneykaiser breaking the barrier.... in all honesty a larger setup is going to bring much more flexibility, but more importantly, sustainability long term. Congrats on the new purchase.
Congratulations @brittneykaiser
The new and larger addition will give you much more stability and room to stock many different fish and corals .

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my whole setup for free from a friend.
We can't all be that lucky but that is awesome. Always waiting in the wings for local reefers (what little I have around here) to call it quits that has a nice system. The bad part is they want all new prices for used equipment so i just wait them out a few months.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always loved fish, on my 8th birthday by Grandad got me a 2.5 gallon bow front with tropical fish that I loved. Even got a few smaller fish to breed. Unfortunately, a mistake on my moms part (skipped dechlorinator) wiped the tank. I’ll never live it down that 8 year old me labeled my mom a “fish murder” lol.

I went on to keep tropical for about 8 years, including a successful Pleco breeding set up that allowed young me to make money for the hobby.

When I left for college I saw a Pico reef set up at a fish store and figured it would be perfect for the “less than 10 gallon” rule. Ran that tank for a few months before my dad decided he wanted to try saltwater. Converted a 90g tropical set up into a reef for him. Followed by several nano tanks throughout college. Happened to go to college at UCF right when TSA and LRO were starting up.

Shortly after college, all my saltwater fish moved back home while I took my first job across the country. Went back to tropical for awhile until I could buy my first home and set up my current 200g system.

Ive had the same Tangs, Clownfish and Chromis for about 10 years over a few tanks which is super cool experience. My college clownfish now lives in a nano tank in my wife’s classroom :)

And yes, I still routinely find new ways to make mistakes 20 years later ha

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are my older twin I guess. I did the same, my first stint in the hobby was during college and shortly after. I started with a 29g and moved up through a 55g and to a 90g, moving every year or less for 5 or 6 years until I quit ahead of a cross country move.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wayyy back in the 50s, I was hit by a car while crossing the street to get on the bus for kindergarten. When I finally got out of the hospital (with head injuries) I was not allowed to get out of bed. My mom got me a fish tank to entertain me (in those days there was only 1 TV in the house, and cartoons were only on Saturday mornings). So I had fresh water fish till about high school, when girls, friends and cars became more important.
Then in ‘73 my college girlfriend got a part time job in an Atlanta pet store, and I saw salt water tanks! I had a tank set up within a week and the rest is history!

I wonder if this 65 year obsession is due to that head injury!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago while living in Japan a Korean friend had to move back home and he was keeping two planted freshwater tanks. As he could not take them with him, he gave them to me for free. I know, I was really lucky, as I took care of his fish and shrimps I got more and more interested in saltwater tropical fish. So after 6 months I took the leap and bought 25 gal nano to keep clowns and damsels. The rest is now history.

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what got you all started in the hobby? What set you off and made you think, "I gotta have a saltwater aquarium."? I bet we have so many unique answers to this.
For me, I was scuba diving in Thailand. We had a port call for 6 days and while the other sailors were busy getting drunk, I was busy diving. I remember finding a massive lionfish. I thought it was going to attack me. It was so chill though. He was like, "sup bro?" only he spoke Thai and not English. Then this massive sea turtle circled around us. I got to hand onto its shell for a bit. When I came back to the surface I immediately wanted to go back in. That got me to thinking about how I could have a piece of this mysterious world in my home. One of the first things I did when I came back stateside was begin looking into the hobby. The rest is history.

And you?
My brother dropped 2 grand on a setup and then quit after his first two clowns died and then I set it back up here we are now

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back