What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANNOYING! Defending a post in a thread when it is an opinion thread. Most of the things on forums are opinions or anecdotal evidence and not fact.

I know I post on what I have seen or done. I know when it works or when it works most of the time. I also state if it is an opinion. Let it go.

Too many times answers do not address the question. e.g. Why is my drain making noise?(happens to be a Durso from a good picture) .... Do a bean or herbie setup. WRONG! not the question. So frustrating.

In my opinion the MODS here are fine. There is no need for anything, but appropriate posts.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad to me is when people use facebook over Reef2Reef to talk reefs! HA!

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to me is when people use facebook over Reef2Reef to talk reefs! HA!
FB suck anyway, especially for any hobby.
I particularly don't respect a specific group on there, that I had to leave very quickly last year, for just trash talking reefers, not talking about reefs, yet published as a reef chat.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a forum issue but still something that irritates me.. How aquariums are called cubes when they aren't cubes!! Like a 30x30x24 for instance.

Cube (definition): "a symmetrical three-dimensional shape, either solid or hollow, contained by six equal squares"

OK, got that off my chest. [emoji16]

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice and false diagnosing sick fish that are actually healthy.
Overreacting Reefers!

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a forum issue but still something that irritates me.. How aquariums are called cubes when they aren't cubes!! Like a 30x30x24 for instance.

Cube (definition): "a symmetrical three-dimensional shape, either solid or hollow, contained by six equal squares"

OK, got that off my chest. [emoji16]
Blame the retailers they like to put cube and column together for a easy description and copy pasta for multiple sized tanks ranging from square, cube and column. Lol

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blame the retailers they like to put cube and column together for a easy description and copy pasta for multiple sized tanks ranging from square, cube and column. Lol
I do blame them! Cube has just become a trendy word that sells tanks.

Not that I don't like their format but calling them something that they're not just grinds my gears..

Chrysantha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds my gears is cubes! Lol not really, they are nice but its so hard to find a midsized tank that is not a cube. I found a couple, but some are very pricey, or you have to have custom built. I just want it a little longer but still in that 55-70 gallon range!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds my gears is cubes! Lol not really, they are nice but its so hard to find a midsized tank that is not a cube. I found a couple, but some are very pricey, or you have to have custom built. I just want it a little longer but still in that 55-70 gallon range!

SCA 66g - 32 x 24 x 20

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a JBJ Rimless 30 (roughly 24x16x16 display). Only rectangular AIO aquarium I could find that was more than 12” wide display. The IM Fusion 20 and 30 were too narrow for me. Same for Fluval m90. They were also only 12-13” high. I definitely prefer a rectangle to a cube.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As new forum member and someone getting a system going again after ten yrs off, the only item i would give feedback on is there are so many great build threads that just go silent after a few pages! I love seeing the unboxing of gear and setup/cycling... but as someone looking to learn how to optimize the build and maintenance processes, im very interested in seeing hat build a month later, 3 mos, 6 mos later!! I want to see how the build worked out, any issues that came up and lessons learned. Putting a bunch of pretty new things in a tank is easy, keeping it looking good and maintaining is the hard part!
Anyways, pretty minor but thought i would give something from a new forum members perspective.
Now... im going to do a build thread so i guess i just committed myself to keeping it going awhile :)

Very good call. Reminds me I need to update my build thread! Will do it over the holiday weekend.

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds my gears (outside of reef2reef) is people saying RIP Charles Manson thinking Charles was Marlin. Yes...let's say RIP to a murderer.....lol

Last edited:

Deaf clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll probably get some heat for these.

That one person who comments on every post as if they have THE answer...you’re not really helping anyone other than your ego.

Every live sale seems to be on a weekend day. I work Friday-Sunday.

Over priced tips people call frags. Anything less than 1” is NOT a frag.

Too many people becoming chop shops. Grow some colonies!!

80% of the photos are actinic.

Oh and last but not least-after EVERY comment and they do this...

Best/Regards/Sincere/etc
Michael.

You don’t need to do that after every comment...

Babygecko1233

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, guess I'm q hypocrite because i have found something that truly grinds my gears on reef2reef.

When a person has had a bad day or is just angry they will post with a sly response or a plain rude one ect "this doesn't belong in this thread...it belongs here..." When all I said in the thread was about buying a fish for cheap and how I've fell in love with the local fish store...accusing me of advertising for a vendor...

1. I have no freaking idea how to do that and didnt even know what thread your saying my post belongs in even existed!!!!!!!

2. The dude wasn't even part of reef2reef...but a mere salty guest (get it? )

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, guess I'm q hypocrite because i have found something that truly grinds my gears on reef2reef.

When a person has had a bad day or is just angry they will post with a sly response or a plain rude one ect "this doesn't belong in this thread...it belongs here..." When all I said in the thread was about buying a fish for cheap and how I've fell in love with the local fish store...accusing me of advertising for a vendor...

1. I have no freaking idea how to do that and didnt even know what thread your saying my post belongs in even existed!!!!!!!

2. The dude wasn't even part of reef2reef...but a mere salty guest (get it? )

Water off a ducks back. :) There is always someone out there looking to initiate drama. And I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back