What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get in trouble for this but you did ask....using Dory and Nemo! Really, wow!

This will never end, no matter how many people come see my tank..with all the money in acros, lights, fancy gadgets they all flock to find Nemo and Dory...it's like hey check out my powder blue tang that's ich free and they are like "it's not pretty like Dory". :(

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All joking about Nemo and Dory aside I think what has really angered me since my early years of reefing are the people that think all you need to check are the big 3 along with no3 and po4. It's just not that easy...

I understand most advanced reefers are wanting to know them to get an idea of the persons husbandry habits and knowledge of their system. Where I get upset is when they scratch their heads like "huh, calc, alk and mag are all in check...don't know why you can't grow acros!"

Making sure your calc, alk and mag are in check is equivalent to knowing how to unlock your car and start your engine. It's the basic of the basic and if you can't handle that you have no business being in the hobby. It pains me when people don't realize the real magic happens you have have biodiversity and bacteria colonies.... it's always overlooked. All the money in equipment, all the best calc alk and mag params in the world will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be the end all on a successful system; anyone who has gotten by on just the big three is just lucky. You may go 5-10 years before some unknown invisible bacterial strand wipes out your tank and you have NO idea how to combat it.

Just look at the posts on the main page today about dinos and all other sorts of stuff that are causing havoc in the most amazing of setups.

It's like when your car breaks down and you ask if they have gas in it. Imagine if you said yes and the person was like "huh...well sure dunno what the problemo is!" It's something Kramer in Seinfeld would do! :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lamp is made of metal, how does the light get out of it?"

Omg.
I understand most advanced reefers are wanting to know them to get an idea of the persons husbandry habits and knowledge of their system. Where I get upset is when they scratch their heads like "huh, calc, alk and mag are all in check...don't know why you can't grow acros!"
You should hang out with me more.

I'm not an expert. But I'm willing to show you what they actually say and and actually do.

It'll make you quite skeptical of whom is , or belive is, an actual expert.

Ref: Richard Ross
http://packedhead.net/category/skeptical-reefkeeping/
An actual expert.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grind my own gears lol. I am extremely decisive in every aspect of my life but for some reason when it comes to saltwater/reef tanks, especially since this is my first time, I turn into a deer in headlights ;Joyful I'm pretty sure everyone questions my intelligence on these forums and at the fish stores haha but I don't blame them ;)!

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate one word or one line posts be they questions or answers, that give no information at all. Usually the question cannot be answered in the least without more information or the answer is useless without the same.

One line questions like:
“Why do I have algae?”
(But give no parameters)

“Should I get an RBTA?”
(No tank size or livestock info)

Or answers like:
“Crushed coral is a death trap!”
(But of course they have never used it, or if they have they are overstocked with fish and never change their water, but do not note any info at all)

“X skimmer is too loud!”
(But do not note they never use an ATO and the water level constantly fluctuates)

LOL. Bugs me. If you really want help or want to help, give as much information as possible. It will help the OP and help future searchers.

“Help! My fish suddenly died yesterday! What happened?”

......:cool:

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Check out my new 2 oz pico in a shot glass”. - throwing some c**p in a jar doesn’t make it a tank ;p

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 10,000th thread of what is this when it's aiptasia, bristleworms, asterina, stomatella, pineapple sponges, or any of the more common ones people could identify by spending an evening reading the forum.

People who call every little anemone aiptasia. And if it doesn't look like aiptasia they call it mojano.

People who say "get rid of it" when they don't really know what it is or if it is harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back