What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the grammur part, what annoys me is when peeple caint speel properly. Didn't they go to scool?
I feel like that's a tough call because not everyone has access to the same level/quality of education. I just get bothered when people don't even make the effort with spelling or grammar. Or those posts that are like 500 lines and one paragraph haha.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the grammur part, what annoys me is when peeple caint speel properly. Didn't they go to scool?

Autocorrect has really done a number on this. Half the time correcting to the wrong word, or the wrong form of a word, or not correcting at all. If you watch the average teenager on a phone they just type in lightning speed and hope the phone does the rest.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this same thought in some of my college literature classes. I always wonder who was reading the admissions essays? Lol

I know too many people that speak English as their second language and have very little difficulty writing beautiful essays for a native English speaker to have improper grammar and spelling at every turn.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same thought in some of my college literature classes. I always wonder who was reading the admissions essays? Lol

I know too many people that speak English as their second language and have very little difficulty writing beautiful essays for a native English speaker to have improper grammar and spelling at every turn.
I was only joking though. It doesn't bother me at all. I make a lot of typing errors and just keep on truckin'. I figure other people do the same.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only joking though. It doesn't bother me at all. I make a lot of typing errors and just keep on truckin'. I figure other people do the same.

It only bothers me when mistakes are EVERYWHERE in someone’s writing. If you misspell a word and misplace a comma or two I won’t even give it a second thought (‘cause we all make mistakes :) ), but if I have to put in elbow grease to understand what you’re trying to say... yeaahh, that’s a pet peeve haha.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube videos. I am not watching 10 minutes of shaky cam while somebody mumbles about their tank to gain the same information I could gain in 10 seconds of skimming a text post.

Text posts are searchable. Videos are not. Videos are a terrible format for sharing information. Its hard to think of a worse one. Inferior in every way to text.

I swear the next generation will be unable to read or write, and will communicate entirely in memes, youtube videos, and emojis.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youtube videos. I am not watching 10 minutes of shaky cam while somebody mumbles about their tank to gain the same information I could gain in 10 seconds of skimming a text post.

Text posts are searchable. Videos are not. Videos are a terrible format for sharing information. Its hard to think of a worse one. Inferior in every way to text.

I swear the next generation will be unable to read or write, and will communicate entirely in memes, youtube videos, and emojis.

On the news the other day they had an article about Facebook, and how Snapchat and Instagram are really taking over with people under 25. Most teens kind of think Facebook is for older people. The reason one of the teens who was interviewed gave was because Facebook has too much writing and text and the others are more just pictures ;Bored. No joke.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I believe it. One of my students said to me last year, "I don't learn well from reading textbooks so I didn't buy it".

I'm only halfway joking when I predict a loss of literacy... the next generation isnt even ashamed to say things like this!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I believe it. One of my students said to me last year, "I don't learn well from reading textbooks so I didn't buy it".

I'm only halfway joking when I predict a loss of literacy... the next generation isnt even ashamed to say things like this!

LOL! I don’t always read the textbook, but I’d never admit that to my professor, especially in such a carefree way. [emoji23][emoji51][emoji102]
As an English major this makes me so sad. I love reading, and love the feeling of a book in my hands so I hate that books are becoming more obsolete.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's funny to think that the latest generation of education professionals don't understand that there are different learning styles. I have read a textbook maybe twice in my entire 130+ credits. Guess what? I have a 4.0

I much prefer to listen, take notes, then use outside resources, unless the professor glass-boxes you into useless regurgitation of textbook questions instead of teaching a subject. That's the two times I've read them.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny to think that the latest generation of education professionals don't understand that there are different learning styles. I have read a textbook maybe twice in my entire 130+ credits. Guess what? I have a 4.0

I much prefer to listen, take notes, then use outside resources, unless the professor glass-boxes you into useless regurgitation of textbook questions instead of teaching a subject. That's the two times I've read them.
Thank you for pointing that out !!!!!!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Hit and Run” posters... the sky is falling and they need help. Helpful posters chime in with a variety of questions and solid advice, yet the OP is never seen again, in the very topic that THEY started! ;Facepalm It’s akin to crying wolf in my eyes, very annoying! :mad:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
People asking the same basic questions that can easily be searched for.
I know there's a huge learning curve, there's always more to learn, and it can be overwhelming sometimes. Plus, every tank is different, and sometimes specific, tank-specific feedback is necessary. And that's fine. But when people are asking the most basic, most easily Googled questions, with no background or contextual info... It gets on my nerves.

Some people in general need an assurance and in turn will repeat question or assure answer multiple times

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In my view two items:
As someone else mentioned....and it still irks me.....2 weeks or so ago when someone asked for recommendation on salts and I gave him 3 good ones and why and he replied " Thanks for nothing". THEN,WHY ASK ???

The other and I hate to bring this up, but we seem to have lately a combination of people asking " How much lower or what is your best price on an item already Reduced when it is NEW in package and then have the %$!*&^ to post a wholesalers price with free shipping , ignoring the fact that the individual paid a higher retail price and is now faced with PayPal fees and high shipping costs and DO NOT get free shipping and will post this any method other than PM and then suggest what the seller should accept.

I say :
oh brother.gif

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people belittle newbies for asking questions about people's answers. At least they're trying to learn. I've only been in the saltwater hobby for about a year and a half and I'm sure some of my questions seem stupid to people who've been in the hobby for years. I've not encountered that in this forum but I was shredded in some FB groups when I first started out. I apologize for not being a chemist and not understanding an overly complicated answer. Lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When people belittle newbies for asking questions about people's answers. At least they're trying to learn. I've only been in the saltwater hobby for about a year and a half and I'm sure some of my questions seem stupid to people who've been in the hobby for years. I've not encountered that in this forum but I was shredded in some FB groups when I first started out. I apologize for not being a chemist and not understanding an overly complicated answer. Lol

Yes- in due respect, lots to learn abd confusion begins with LFS advice and advice of others. This is a hobby where research and investigation into chemistry and products are essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back