What happened to our Marine Betta?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and she has almost a perfect semi circle taken out of her tail. Our desjardini was sort of chasing her this morning and that's the first time he's ever done that. We've had her for 3 or 4 months and all the other fish have always left her alone. The chunk missing looks like to perfect a semi circle to have been from a fish nipping to my untrained eyes. I was thinking maybe the pistol shrimp (who we haven't seen in forever) or maybe an emerald crab got her?

Aside from figuring out what happened, is there anything we can or should be doing to help her out? I thought about trying to rearrange some rock to change up the hiding places but I don't have a lot of options for that right now until the old rock I'm going to reuse has been completely acid washed, bleached and cured. Unfortunately I don't trust the rock I could go pickup from any of our LFS in this area.

@4FordFamily tagging you for your tang expertise sir.

#reefsquad
Screenshot_20200410-081636_Gallery.jpg

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it. I have two in my tank and they get tail nips from time too time. I‘m always amazed how fast the tail grows back. You know how bettas are, just hanging out in their cave with that big ol tail sticking out.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry about it. I have two in my tank and they get tail nips from time too time. I‘m always amazed how fast the tail grows back. You know how bettas are, just hanging out in their cave with that big ol tail sticking out.
That's good to know. I really do wonder who would have done it. None of the other fish have ever tried to bully her before. Maybe our pistol shrimp really is still alive, she did take a cave that was over his favorite hole, maybe he got ticked off.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My valentini puffer nips my bettas tail sometimes and it looks just like that. Usually grows back without and issue but if it looks bad or infected I use a little melafix.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My valentini puffer nips my bettas tail sometimes and it looks just like that. Usually grows back without and issue but if it looks bad or infected I use a little melafix.

I actually think we have some of that lying around so that's good to know. Would some stress coat help with repairing the damage? I know we have that.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest fish ever! From the shape I’d guess the shrimp also, I’m sure they will work out living arrangements soon, if not shrimp may have to relocate to a sump.

looks like a new tank, I would avoid adding anything.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a betta, but have had a few fish with missing parts of fins. I think the fish will be fine. I would just observe at this point. My perpetrators were often crabs from my liverock. I would inspect the rocks at night with a flashlight. The roundish shape is odd though.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest fish ever! From the shape I’d guess the shrimp also, I’m sure they will work out living arrangements soon, if not shrimp may have to relocate to a sump.

Honestly we thought the shrimp was/is dead. We haven't seen him in about 3 weeks and that was catching a glimpse of him under some rocks. I think his goby did die so maybe he's ticked off and doesn't want to come out. It's not unusual for him to disappear for a month or so and the next time we see him, he's doubled in size. It's hard to tell if the mounds of sand we see are from the shrimp or the gold head goby now.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to derail the thread but those are not impossible to breed, ...That fish looks female .... erh maybe?
I kept 2 of those for years.....how old is she ?

I have no idea on age or sex actually. I just say "she" because the wife named her Billie the Betta lol. I could probably find out an approximate age. We get all of our livestock from a company that orders them wholesale and QTs them and everything for us. He had this Betta in his tanks for awhile and gave him to us as payment for me doing some work for him.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had stellar and spot in two different tanks side by side for a couple of years, Now they have a new 150 and have moved in together. It was love a first sight! always in each other’s cave rubbing up against each other. Don’t plan to breed at this point but sure is fun to watch.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the injury, it will heal. I'd be more worried about it continuing. How long has the sailfin been chasing the fish? How long have you had them together?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the injury, it will heal. I'd be more worried about it continuing. How long has the sailfin been chasing the fish? How long have you had them together?

This morning is literally the first time we've ever seen any of the fish, sailfin included, chase the betta at all. And it only went on for a few minutes first thing this morning. I've been watching the tank all morning while I "WFH" lol and no one has messed with her since then.

They've been in the tank together for probably 2 months now.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it's an adult female but no idea on the age.
While I can’t exactly outline the sex differences; if possible a side by side makes things obvious...sorta like cichlids ...anyway, if you ever see a male give it a shot....the world needs more breeders :)
edit: now back to our regular scheduled programing ... :D

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back