What happens if you mix Coral Pro and Blue Bucket salt? | #AskBRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did you know I was just thinking about this the other night ... haha Also include blue bucket for black Friday sale that would be perfect lol

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mixed it and had no ill effects. But i don't have sps, only lps soft clam and anemones.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a SPS dominant tank. I like my Alk to be around 8.0 to 9.0 dKH. Red Sea Coral Pro starts high but, precipitates out to an Alk of around 8.5 at 3.5 hours. The salt mixes clear. The directions say mix between 0.5 to 4 max hours. If your water changes are 10 - 15%, adding the higher dKH salt doesn't really make much of an alkalinity swing in your tank. Dilution calculation proves that ALKi (initial) will be only slightly elevated with the higher concentration in the new saltwater. Thus, I don't match ALK, CA or MG before a water change. I measure only salinity and alk. The alk will be off when there's bag stratification. I do 30% water changes a month. 2.5 gallons a day and a large 30 gallon once a month. NOTE: The drop in alk over mixing time is pretty darn consistent.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We all have mixed salts at one time or another for various reasons ( me - ran out of my regular mixed and used another brand as make up quantity)
After many years in hobby, cant say I have heard of anyone having nightmare effects from mixing salts.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been mixing like this for years, my reef like it this way. And I am having great success.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back