What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try shutting your skimmer down for part of the day? I know that Triton shows you in the green zone with phosphate, but for me .02 is too low. I need to keep mine around .08 for my corals to be happy.

Also, I found the Triton Detox to work well for me. You could try that to get rid of that AL and Cu. I previously had big problems from a high level of Al (280).

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try shutting your skimmer down for part of the day? I know that Triton shows you in the green zone with phosphate, but for me .02 is too low. I need to keep mine around .08 for my corals to be happy.

Also, I found the Triton Detox to work well for me. You could try that to get rid of that AL and Cu. I previously had big problems from a high level of Al (280).

I havent yet, as I'm going to leave for a week long vacation and I dont want to change anything while Im not around to monitor the tank. I'll have some time after Christmas to tinker with a few things (turning off skimmer included) and being able to see what exactly is helping/hindering.

The Aluminum likely wont go away completely, as I have two ceramic media blocks in the sump. I'll run some type of heavy metal removal media once I get back from vacation. :D

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing now? Look for pests at night. I have found large predatory snails that will devour a single acro frag in one night and disappear come morning.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing now? Look for pests at night. I have found large predatory snails that will devour a single acro frag in one night and disappear come morning.

Honestly, I think most of the issues may have stemmed from my lights. I have since taken the tank down and swapped it out for a glass tank with "nicer" dimensions and replaced the cheaper t5/MH fixture with some AI Hydras and T5 supplements. Corals are doing great - in fact - I got a shipment from Unique this week and the sticks are doing extremely well.

20160211_135954.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back