What infections to know about??

Red2143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most infections are rare but considering most doctors won't be aware of the issue, what infections or other illnesses should we all know about?

This video got me thinking...

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most infections are rare but considering most doctors won't be aware of the issue, what infections or other illnesses should we all know about?

This video got me thinking...

Yikes !! ,That is so scary . Good thread

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a note in my medical chart that I keep marine reef tanks that that palytoxin is present. There is a small little blob in there about how to treat palytoxin. There is also a note to consider marine diseases even though we are 1000 miles from the ocean.

Get ahead of this with your doctor.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diseases, which spread from animals to human are called zoonosis and those are more common in workers dealing with animals, including fish and not a major risk factor for saltwater aquarium owner.
That doesn't mean that one shouldn't be vigilant.
I would recommend wearing long sleeve gloves while working inside your tank or sump and avoiding aquarium water contact with broken skin.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allergies are definitely something to be aware of with this hobby - you may not have a shellfish allergy, but you could be allergic to some random chemicals in the water/produced by a coral/etc.; it could be mild allergies that just give you contact dermatitis, or it could be serious allergies that require treatment upon exposure (and figuring out what's causing it could be a lost cause if it's obscure enough).

The thread below has a ton of great info for this thread too:

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I absolutely do, but will be writing an article about it. :winking-face: It still hurts to type.

Long story short, I'm still dealing with the aftermath of a Vibrio Vulnificus infection, after spending a week in the hospital.

Always wear gloves, kiddos.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back