What is a ‘mixed’ reef

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems now the term ‘mixed reef’ is thrown around, I see LPS/SPS reefs classed as Mixed, I’ve seen LPS/Softies classed as Mixed. But a mixed reef, does it mean you’re varying with RSWC fish as well as having all 3 types of coral, is it just having the 3 types of coral or is it only having 2 types of coral?

IMG_7438.jpeg
Must a "mixed reef" contain corrals? A reef aquarium setup is always a mix of life but must it always be based on LPS /SPS? A normal reef is always a mix of vertebrates, invertebrates , phytho. For me a " mixed reef" is a normal reef setup always including vertebrates, a display of reef fish and their normal habitat. Makazi Baharini. A " mixed reef" is a high nutrient system needing an other approach for keeping LPS/SPS,

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must a "mixed reef" contain corrals? A reef aquarium setup is always a mix of life but must it always be based on LPS /SPS? A normal reef is always a mix of vertebrates, invertebrates , phytho. For me a " mixed reef" is a normal reef setup always including vertebrates, a display of reef fish and their normal habitat. Makazi Baharini. A " mixed reef" is a high nutrient system needing an other approach for keeping LPS/SPS,
This is an interesting take on a mixed reef, I never really thought about this as our hobby is very coral heavy, my honest opinion on a mixed reef is;
Having a mix of RSWC fish, in with coral and other invertebrates.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems now the term ‘mixed reef’ is thrown around, I see LPS/SPS reefs classed as Mixed, I’ve seen LPS/Softies classed as Mixed. But a mixed reef, does it mean you’re varying with RSWC fish as well as having all 3 types of coral, is it just having the 3 types of coral or is it only having 2 types of coral?

IMG_7438.jpeg

It's where you stick a bunch of corals together that would not inhabit the same area in a real reef, thus requiring expert technical skills and a whole lotta luck to make work.

Lumping a bunch of SPS, LPS, and soft coral in a tank with clams and an anemones sort of meets the definition :)

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the descriptors such as “SPS dominant”, “LPS/Zoa Garden”,”High End Acros” or “Softie with few low end LPS tank” rather than using general terms that aren’t as descriptive or helpful in understanding those unique challenges every type has. When I hear “mixed reef” it’s not really anything specific and I take it in the most general terms as a mix of anything. That might be all that’s needed if it’s a discussion on stands or which type of GAC.to use. Anything to do with coral husbandry is going to require a more detailed description.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely the hardest level of difficulty comes with Softies, LPS and SPS growing altogether.
OMG! Yes...
You start out with softies/LPS, then throw in a few easy SPS which works with flow and parameters. then you add a bit more difficult SPS. Meanwhile you Kenya tree that was small on a Zoa rock is now huge, and throwing babies everywhere.
Now you start a softie tank and you are just transferring softies and LPS from your now SPS dominant DT.
If I had a huge tank, I might be able to get away with a mixed reef, but on a 40g nope....
Oh wait, Is SPS and Aptasia considered "mixed"?

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping a mixed reef is tricky. There are a few LPS that will not do well for me at the same time my SPS flourish and visa versa. I have not had success with millies or hammers/ torches at the same time my gonis and acros are growing FWIW. My softies however, Ricordia, leather, keyna tree coral, fireworks clove polyp and zoa's are bulletproof.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back