What is a good battery back up for Nero 3/5

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech Vortech has battery backup but what about the Nero 3/5?

What do you use as battery back up in case of power loss to the house?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at computer UPS units? I use a couple of small form factor Riello's to power my return pump, power heads, and lights, to cover for short power outages.

Reef2625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ecotech power back up unit work with the Nero 3?
The Icecap V3 works with the Nero 3. I just bought it a few days ago and everything plugs in just fine and powers the pump, I’m not sure for how long I have not lost power yet ::knock on wood:: . I did unplug the main power and still worked.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Icecap V3 works with the Nero 3. I just bought it a few days ago and everything plugs in just fine and powers the pump, I’m not sure for how long I have not lost power yet ::knock on wood:: . I did unplug the main power and still worked.
I’m getting some conflicting information about the Icecap V3 working with the AI Nero 3 pumps. Can you confirm? Also, how many pumps per battery backup? One or two?

Marine depot says not compatible

Which Pump Brands Can I Connect to the IceCap Battery Backup v3.0?​

One of the biggest benefits of the IceCap Battery Backup over competing brands is that it isn’t restricted to a single brand of pump. The new battery backup v3.0 is compatible with most 24V or less variable speed DC pumps on the market today.

Here are some popular pumps the IceCap Battery Backup works with:​

• Maxspect Gyre Pumps (All Models)
  • IceCap Gyre Pumps including the IceCap Dual Pump WiFi Controller (Compatibility with HYDROS WaveEngine requires HYDROS Battery Backup Kit Adapters)
  • Reef Octopus Octo Pulse Pumps (All Models)
*Please Note* The IceCap Battery Backup is NOTcompatible with Reef Octopus VarioS pumps, EcoTech pumps, Tunze, or AI Nero pumps.

Pêcheur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the information directly from the CoralVue (IceCap) website is contradictory. The product page for the V3 battery backup has an image showing the battery is “compatible with 24V DC pumps” but then the description below says “New model updated for 2021! This new version is 12V like the original!”

E798D52E-59A2-496B-8002-C17860773802.png

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the information directly from the CoralVue (IceCap) website is contradictory. The product page for the V3 battery backup has an image showing the battery is “compatible with 24V DC pumps” but then the description below says “New model updated for 2021! This new version is 12V like the original!”

E798D52E-59A2-496B-8002-C17860773802.png
I just noticed that too! So weird. I wish I could get confirmation on this.

What battery backup works with the Nero 3? Does anyone know? Seems to be a mystery.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at computer UPS units? I use a couple of small form factor Riello's to power my return pump, power heads, and lights, to cover for short power outages.
I have large UPS’s (for a computer). The kind with a digital screen that tells what the draw is and an estimated run time. It will run my Apex, COR pump, and fans, etc for 80-90 minutes. I have a larger battery that I can wheel over and plug in to keep it running 12-24 hours. I live in TX where I don’t have to worry about the heater.

My UPS has 6 battery backed ports and 6 none and I use those non battery ports for my lights.

I have smaller UPS units for my 10 gallon and the power has only gone out for 30-40 minutes max and they were fine (but they’re just running a small return pump).

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somewhere on here theres a thread that shows you how to use the Tunze Safety connector with the Nero.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an Ecotech Marine Battery backup, didn't realise it wasn't compatible with nero 3 .... urghhhhhhh.
Looking at the connectors, I wonder if it's just a case of buying a cable/adaptor that converts from whatever size thingymabob goes into the hole on the backup, into whatever size the thingymabob is that goes into the Nero 3 controller ??
Has anyone does this that may be able to confirm?

Edit: Also, do people use these things to run their return pumps as well or just the powerheads?

ZzzDerekzzZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power last night, and plugged 1 of my Nero3 into my GoalZero Sherpa 100AC, and it ran that 1 Nero3 for over 10 hours while my Nero was plugged into the GoalZero's AC outlet.

Or what about a power bank with a 24v output, the one a the link below has a 24v output with a DC5521 plug, same as the Nero without the AC adapter.

TalentCell 24V Lithium ion Battery PB240B1, Rechargeable 42980mAh 156Wh Li-ion Batteries Pack with DC 24V/12 Volt and 5V USB Output for LED Light Strip, CCTV Camera, Smartphone and More

Goal-Zero-Sherpa-100AC-recharging.jpg 51+O493t+WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I lost power last night, and plugged 1 of my Nero3 into my GoalZero Sherpa 100AC, and it ran that 1 Nero3 for over 10 hours while my Nero was plugged into the GoalZero's AC outlet.

Or what about a power bank with a 24v output, the one a the link below has a 24v output with a DC5521 plug, same as the Nero without the AC adapter.

TalentCell 24V Lithium ion Battery PB240B1, Rechargeable 42980mAh 156Wh Li-ion Batteries Pack with DC 24V/12 Volt and 5V USB Output for LED Light Strip, CCTV Camera, Smartphone and More

Goal-Zero-Sherpa-100AC-recharging.jpg 51+O493t+WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I actually used that talentcell with an mp10 on the 12v output. Worked great. Unfortunately the 24v output is poorly regulated and doesn't output a steady 24v but has a rather large voltage range. Im not sure it that is good for the nero or not?

Back