What is a moment or memory you will never forget with your reef tank

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like we all have that special memory with our tanks. Maybe it is the day we finally got to put water into our tank, maybe it is how fish interacted with each other, or maybe it is the day we upgraded our tank to something bigger and better. I am wondering, what is a moment or memory you will never forget with your reef tank!!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the most memorable moment for me is when velvet struck. I had a 150g and 180g sharing the same sump so it swept through both systems. I lost about 50% of my fish, some that had been with me for over 6 years. I did manage to save about half of them so considering the mortality rate of velvet I'll count it as a win and a learning experience, always QT even if only for observation. So a negative turned kind of positive I suppose.

Last edited:

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My memory is how happy I was when the ugly stage ended. It seemed like it lasted forever (probably 6 mos.). So that definitely sticks out as a highlight.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positive:
-clowns hosting their first clutch

- freight delivery watching my new tank be delivered.

negatives:
-pre RODI float switch floods, soggy socks in the morning. Took years of successful float switch usage before I could confidently step onto the basement carpet.

- the smell when my first skimmers motor burned out at midnight. The smell was very similar to when my ex let the dog in the house while saying “he got sprayed by a skunk”.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much my current tank but with my previous 120 mixed reef was watching everything explode in growth after switching from LEDs to a T5 / supplemental Reef Brite setup. I wish I could do the same now with my current tank but it’s a nano.

Attachments

• IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positive:
-clowns hosting their first clutch

- freight delivery watching my new tank be delivered.

negatives:
-pre RODI float switch floods, soggy socks in the morning. Took years of successful float switch usage before I could confidently step onto the basement carpet.

- the smell when my first skimmers motor burned out at midnight. The smell was very similar to when my ex let the dog in the house while saying “he got sprayed by a skunk”.
I could not imagine the smell of a skimmer motor burning out haha

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much my current tank but with my previous 120 mixed reef was watching everything explode in growth after switching from LEDs to a T5 / supplemental Reef Brite setup. I wish I could do the same now with my current tank but it’s a nano.
Growth looks great in your tank

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like we all have that special memory with our tanks. Maybe it is the day we finally got to put water into our tank, maybe it is how fish interacted with each other, or maybe it is the day we upgraded our tank to something bigger and better. I am wondering, what is a moment or memory you will never forget with your reef tank!!
When I got through my second cycle, it looked like a swamp!

Rick2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always setting up the tank. It’s a special feeling that unfortunately only lasts a day or two when a tank is up for years beyond that. New spotless equipment, clean tank, rocks, sand, and essentially a furniture piece that changes the look of the room it’s in.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good:

20 years ago...had the most beautiful 15 gallon fully filled reef tank that I never used any test kits on and had amazing growth.

The nasty:
that amazing thriving tank came to a sudden end when my cat jumped on top and knocked my lights in the water while I was on the road. Instant electrocution! The breaker didn't trip and if it wasn't for my girlfriend's father popping in to check on things God only knows what would have happened. That was a time where you can buy beautiful Fiji live rock with loads of different kinds of life on the rock. Snails just fell to the sand bed and all of my little hermit crabs buried themselves as deep into the sand bed as possible to get away from the electricity.

2023 the good:

Found out on what I've missed the past 20 years and got a small Fluval tank up and running to make sure it was something I wanted to expand on. And to make sure it just wasn't a phase I was going through.

4 months later realizing how far this hobby has evolved and what is going to be delivered at the end of the month as long @Waterbox Aquariums sticks to their word and makes up for their error and deliver my new system by the end of this month. That will be some memory that will meld into the good memory back 20 years ago while I had success.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my current tank when my wife said: happy birthday, you can pick out a tank for your gift. Second: I'm in the fun part of tank setup: picking out corals. We went to myrtle Beach frag fest the other day and went a little crazy buying frags. But hey what great time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back