What is best for clearing up yellowish water, besides carbon ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank water is a little yellow. I’d like to get it clear before it becomes a real problem. I don’t like running carbon because of my tangs.

I don’t have a media reactor so is there anything that works well in a media cup ?

Thanks

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the best is, but depending on the cause using a flocculant (like "Coral Snow" which is cheaply and easily DIY'ed) may help reduce yellow coloration.
what about tangs prohibits you from running carbon in your tank? i wasn't aware of any correlation between the two
Carbon use has been shown in controlled studies to positively correlate with HLLE in tangs; so it's thought that carbon use causes HLLE in tangs somehow. Lignite carbon is the worst for it, rinsed and pelleted carbon only showed micrscopic HLLE symptoms, so it's not as bad, but still presented some minor symptoms.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank water is a little yellow. I’d like to get it clear before it becomes a real problem. I don’t like running carbon because of my tangs.

I don’t have a media reactor so is there anything that works well in a media cup ?

Thanks
If you rinse a quality carbon well before use you won't have any problems with Tangs.

It's the carbon dust that invades and irritates their gills, not carbon itself.
A reactor is the worst place to put it, just a bag in the sump is good so that it does not grind up and create particles. I have it in a low flow area of the sump.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about tangs prohibits you from running carbon in your tank? i wasn't aware of any correlation between the two

maybe a UV?
HLLE. See messages below yours.

Uv will help the skimmer pull out yellowing compounds from my understanding
I do have a UV running 24/7.

If you rinse a quality carbon well before use you won't have any problems with Tangs.

It's the carbon dust that invades and irritates their gills, not carbon itself.
Yeah, that’s the carbon I use but I don’t really like it. I’m paranoid of HLLE?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the best is, but depending on the cause using a flocculant (like "Coral Snow" which is cheaply and easily DIY'ed) may help reduce yellow coloration.
Thanks. I don’t really know the cause. It’s odd because I upgraded to this tank not even 2 months ago and replaced 90 gallons with brand new water. It shouldn’t be yellow at all but it is.

The only cause I can think of is dosing plancton, but I dose very little so not very likely. Plus, plancton is green, not yellow.

Maybe the fact that I’m still messing with my skimmer, trying to get just the right setting, and it’s not pulling as much as it should ?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m paranoid of HLLE?
i see. didn’t think it was that common nowadays.

i use use chemipure blue and have a tang in the tank. now unless that’s not actually carbon in there, i don’t think it’ll cause issues for you. it did help me with water clarity?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed ozone a two months ago and it has been going great. I only run the Ozotech Poseidon 200 for 20-25 minutes every day at 2am at the second to lowest setting. I have a 110 gallon display + 30 gallon sump. Water is noticeably clearer.

The Poseidon goes on sale every so often so just keep an eye open. I also bought a cheap small skimmer that I use in conjunction with the Poseidon. My existing protein skimmer is not rated for ozone and I had room in my sump for a small skimmer used for ozone purposes only.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed ozone a two months ago and it has been going great. I only run the Ozotech Poseidon 200 for 20-25 minutes every day at 2am at the second to lowest setting. I have a 110 gallon display + 30 gallon sump. Water is noticeably clearer.

The Poseidon goes on sale every so often so just keep an eye open. I also bought a cheap small skimmer that I use in conjunction with the Poseidon. My existing protein skimmer is not rated for ozone and I had room in my sump for a small skimmer used for ozone purposes only.
That’s a big step though. And expensive. I’ll keep it in mind nevertheless.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few forum post over the years about yellowed water that wouldn't clear in tanks that had no business being yellowed that were due to rusting of components/bolts
My tank is brand new. Nothing in there can rust, to my knowledge. No stainless steel components anywhere.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My tank is brand new. Nothing in there can rust, to my knowledge. No stainless steel components anywhere.
other metals can still make itself in like zinc/nickle/aluminum/etc. any magnets? check for bubbling with magnets

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE. See messages below yours.

I do have a UV running 24/7.

Yeah, that’s the carbon I use but I don’t really like it. I’m paranoid of HLLE?
FWIW, I have a naso tang, and keep carbon running 24/7. I change it frequently. BUT… I do indeed rinse the heck out of it prior to use.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks
For me has always been chemiPure Blue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know you have lots of tangs. How often and how long do you use chemiPure blue ? Di you run it non-stop ?

Do you just put it in your filter sock or filter cup ?
I run it full time for three months, sometimes up to 4 months. I just added a new pouch Last night and intend to switch it out July 4th weekend and I place it in sump as water enters sump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back