What is best for clearing up yellowish water, besides carbon ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use red sea carbon, it has almost no dust. The other option is purigen but I think every tank should have some carbon.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience using Seachem Purigen to clarify water?
This is a common use for Purigen particularly in the freshwater aquarium side. Many of the super nice freshwater planted tanks use Purigen to get the ultra clear water quality.

On a somewhat related point, I just made a thread on how a large dose of phyto improved water clarity in my 140 gallon tank.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon only when needed.
Throw it in for a week or two. I won't add it again for 2 or 3 months, maybe longer.

Lately I've been doing coral snow every night. I read it is suppose to help with vermetid Snails. It gets caught up in there Web and possibly starve them. We will see but hopefully my water will be crystal clear anyway.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the best and only way to do it effectively and permanently is with the Ozone. I just dropped a cool $1k on the system from Avaste Marine. Do not run through your skimmer, you simply can't properly contain the ozone, both from getting in your aquarium water and into the air you breath. Plus you will not get the proper ozone utilization as this system does. Check it out, you won't be disappointed, my water started clearing up in a day to two....

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the best and only way to do it effectively and permanently is with the Ozone. I just dropped a cool $1k on the system from Avaste Marine. Do not run through your skimmer, you simply can't properly contain the ozone, both from getting in your aquarium water and into the air you breath. Plus you will not get the proper ozone utilization as this system does. Check it out, you won't be disappointed, my water started clearing up in a day to two....

Could you tell me how you are running it? Are you running ozone 24/7 at low amounts, using orp controller to turn it on or off, running on a timer for a certain amount of time etc? Thank you.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell me how you are running it? Are you running ozone 24/7 at low amounts, using orp controller to turn it on or off, running on a timer for a certain amount of time etc? Thank you.
Thanks for asking that question. It's entirely up to your individual needs and the needs of your tank, but for me, I had pretty greenish water. When I was setting it up, I had an email communication thread with a fella at Avast Marine. He was very helpful in dialing it in. After his initial recommendation on starting at a low setting on the Ozone Generator, after a couple weeks he suggested I have it at 7 and run it 24/7. I have a 210 gallon reef with many fish, so this was taken into account. You have to adjust according to tank size. I have an ORP probe for my Apex, but they do not have the additional ORP probe module at BRS and it's been out of stock for a while now. Once I get it, I'll be able to better monitor ORP, but for now, Avast suggested leaving it on full time and monitoring the activity of the fish, which so far seems perfectly normal.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking that question. It's entirely up to your individual needs and the needs of your tank, but for me, I had pretty greenish water. When I was setting it up, I had an email communication thread with a fella at Avast Marine. He was very helpful in dialing it in. After his initial recommendation on starting at a low setting on the Ozone Generator, after a couple weeks he suggested I have it at 7 and run it 24/7. I have a 210 gallon reef with many fish, so this was taken into account. You have to adjust according to tank size. I have an ORP probe for my Apex, but they do not have the additional ORP probe module at BRS and it's been out of stock for a while now. Once I get it, I'll be able to better monitor ORP, but for now, Avast suggested leaving it on full time and monitoring the activity of the fish, which so far seems perfectly normal.
by the way, the water has become significantly better and clear. I love it!!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone supposedly helps with yellow water as well. I've not looked deeply into this, but seems like it's worth the research.

FWIW, I run carbon nearly 24/7 and don't have any issues with my tangs

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way, the water has become significantly better and clear. I love it!!
Awesome. Thanks for explaining to me. Recently put on a large UV to combat a small Dino outbreak, which knocked it out in a few days and made my water crystal clear. I don’t want this monstrosity of a UV in my permanent plumbing but love the clear water and impulse bought a Mutiny 2.1 lol. Just waiting on my feed pump and orp controller. Because my tank is crystal clear already I might start on a timer for a few hours per night.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks for explaining to me. Recently put on a large UV to combat a small Dino outbreak, which knocked it out in a few days and made my water crystal clear. I don’t want this monstrosity of a UV in my permanent plumbing but love the clear water and impulse bought a Mutiny 2.1 lol. Just waiting on my feed pump and orp controller. Because my tank is crystal clear already I might start on a timer for a few hours per night.
Just go very slowly and if you smell ozone from the tank turn it off.

It can quickly and quietly kill fish if overdosed.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank water is a little yellow. I’d like to get it clear before it becomes a real problem. I don’t like running carbon because of my tangs.

I don’t have a media reactor so is there anything that works well in a media cup ?

Thanks
I have a Naso tang and keep carbon 24/7. You must use a good grade of carbon, and rinse it very thoroughly, you will be fine.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about tangs prohibits you from running carbon in your tank? i wasn't aware of any correlation between the two

maybe a UV?
Tangs are very susceptible to HLLE, which can be cause by the dust that comes from activated carbon. This is why you rinse it very well prior to use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back