What is considered a balanced diet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keyz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Keyz

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 27, 2017
Messages
29
Reaction score
5
Location
NYC
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to make this a "what do you feed your fish" thread but I am curious as to what others consider to be a balanced diet for a diverse/semi-diverse reef tank.

Currently I have the 4 pack of saltwater frozen food with emerald entree, mysid, omega brine, and plankton (my fish dont like the plankton), occassional seaweed and some flake food but would like to increase the quality and diversity of food I make available.
 
Very simple, feed your fish what they would eat on the reef. Fish, shrimp, mollusks, squid, and algae. The fresher the better. Marine worms are not available, at least none that I know of, so the next best thing is live black worms or white worms. Throw in some live BBS, even big fish will eat them, and you are good to go.
 
Most reef fishes eat a variety of food. So providing a variety is the best way to replicate that. All that is mentioned above is good. Also, fish eggs and calanoid copepods are a big part of planktivores diet.
 
Thank you! Great reference for replicating a natural diet.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new