Daily Menu

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I feed on a daily basis. I have six tanks and 52 fish right now. Notice, no flakes or pellets. In the front is live BBS and caulerpa and cheato. The BBS gets eaten by almost all the fish and corals. The caulerpa, cheato, and algae sheets goes to the Tangs, Emperor Angel, and Foxfaces. There are two types of mysis for the Pipefish and Seahorses, along with live Blackworms, blender mush, fish eggs, and krill. The krill is mainly for the Golden Hawkfish. He is my most picky eater. He will eat some of the fish eggs, but they are mainly for the 4 pairs of Dragonets. Everybody eats the Blackworms except the Pipefish and Seahorses, and the Golden. The single cube in the back is reef plankton. That gets target fed to the spiral corals twice a day. This varied diet keeps the fish very healthy and resistant to disease. It is as close to their natural diet as I can make it.

food.jpg

bruleyii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a serious chore there. I bet it takes a while to feed all that with the target feeding and what not.

OP
OP
laga77

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is fun then it is not work. The problem a lot of people run into is they think you can just throw a cube of food or some pellets in the tank. Different fish have different needs.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I feed on a daily basis. I have six tanks and 52 fish right now. Notice, no flakes or pellets. In the front is live BBS and caulerpa and cheato. The BBS gets eaten by almost all the fish and corals. The caulerpa, cheato, and algae sheets goes to the Tangs, Emperor Angel, and Foxfaces. There are two types of mysis for the Pipefish and Seahorses, along with live Blackworms, blender mush, fish eggs, and krill. The krill is mainly for the Golden Hawkfish. He is my most picky eater. He will eat some of the fish eggs, but they are mainly for the 4 pairs of Dragonets. Everybody eats the Blackworms except the Pipefish and Seahorses, and the Golden. The single cube in the back is reef plankton. That gets target fed to the spiral corals twice a day. This varied diet keeps the fish very healthy and resistant to disease. It is as close to their natural diet as I can make it.

food.jpg
This is absolutely fantastic!

ChrisAndJulie2012

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a few different things to our 125. From pellets and flakes, to include also whole krill, some sort of cuisine stuff, and what look like little fish eggs. (sorry have my 18 month old on my lap looking at yall's tanks) Our fish are healthy fat and happy. I hope to upgrade our feedings in the near future to better quality whole food like above.

BNR210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

food.jpg

Do you rinse the frozen food, or drain the water that was used to thaw it?

If you do, how do you do it on the smaller food like reef plankton without losing half of it?

If you don't what is your nitrate levels?

I've switched back and forth and I'm unhappy with the results on both. I waste a lot of food, time and money by rinsing and draining the smaller food. Plus my husband and son refuse to feed if I make them go through this process. [emoji19] But when I just thaw the food in tank water and then pour all of it back into the tank, the nitrates rise and stay at unacceptable levels.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a blend of locally caught and purchased items and freeze it all. All fish and corals get fed with this blend. Feed nori and pellets as well.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I be one of your fish?!

That is a serious commitment to nutrition, and I'd wager it shows in your tank.

~Bruce, who felt pretty good about the mix of frozen and dry he feeds ... until he opened this thread!

OP
OP
laga77

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I be one of your fish?!

That is a serious commitment to nutrition, and I'd wager it shows in your tank.

~Bruce, who felt pretty good about the mix of frozen and dry he feeds ... until he opened this thread!
I will explain the commitment. I am entering the 17th year of SW tanks. 11 years in the late `80s-early`90s and now for the last 6 years. I had breeding Clownfish back in 1992. When I jumped back in 6 years ago, I did everything like I used to because I thought I knew what I was doing. I had 1 year of success and then lost a bunch of fish to either ich or velvet. Having the internet this time I did a lot of research into boosting the immunity of fish. To do this you need to keep them healthy and stress free as possible. Doing this in a tiny glass box is not easy. I have found that diet and good water quality works for me. In the last 5 years I have collected 6 tanks and 54 fish. I have bought over 75 fish in that time and the only ones I have lost are those that died in QT or from a power failure that happen in the middle of the night. My QT is mostly drug free , I do use Prazi, and goes from zero days to two weeks depending on the condition of the fish. If you want to argue QT or immunity , please go to those treads. Reef fish are different because their ecosystem is unique and somewhat isolated. The fish we collect are wild animals. It is only common sense that we feed them what they eat in the wild as close as possible. Feeding marine fish live Black Worms is a good idea. If I could, I would culture marine worms and feed those. There are a lot of false myths in this hobby that just won't die because they have been around forever and I want to spread the alternatives. Proper nutrition goes a long way to keeping fish a long time.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I feed on a daily basis. I have six tanks and 52 fish right now. Notice, no flakes or pellets. In the front is live BBS and caulerpa and cheato. The BBS gets eaten by almost all the fish and corals. The caulerpa, cheato, and algae sheets goes to the Tangs, Emperor Angel, and Foxfaces. There are two types of mysis for the Pipefish and Seahorses, along with live Blackworms, blender mush, fish eggs, and krill.

Pardon my ignorance, please.
BBS is what?
What is typically in the "blender mush"?
What kind(s) of fish eggs?

Nutrition really interests me and I strongly believe it is the foundation of health & immunity. I hope you don't mind me asking for the details.[emoji57]

OP
OP
laga77

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BBS is live baby brine shrimp, blender mush is a mixture of your own making containing fresh seafood. I usually use oysters or clams, shrimp, or squid, , and salmon. LRS sells a product that is just frozen fish eggs or roe. Sometimes you can find these at Asian food stores. Another option is a product called Nutramar Ova, which is prawn eggs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back