What is everyone using for epoxy?

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I've had SPS colonies grow out and had the need to make lots of frags, I see the value of epoxy over superglue, or in combination with superglue.

However, I'm having issues finding a good source of epoxy. All of the epoxies I have found online are for such low amounts, and it seems silly to buy like 10 7$ sticks of epoxy. So just out of curiosity, what epoxies have you found are best, considering cost and function?

Thanks.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you consider a low amount? What would you consider a large amount? I think "reef safe" epoxy is a specialty product so the price is somewhat justifiable. You also don't need to use that much, I can't say I've ever used a full stick in one go besides securing an entire rockscape

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aqua Forest Poly glue for the win!

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqua Forest Poly glue for the win!

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg
That gives me a thought for OP - if the amount of bonding material you need is truly enormous, maybe consider something like reef safe cement? You'd have to have everything fragged up and ready to go and then mount them all at once though I think, to avoid mixing numerous batches of cement. You'd definitely save $, though!

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean which is easy to get on Amazon. Easy to use, holds really well. Less expensive than other brands that i've seen at LFS

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 7.56.41 AM.png

OP
OP
Charlie the Reefer

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what do you consider a low amount? What would you consider a large amount? I think "reef safe" epoxy is a specialty product so the price is somewhat justifiable. You also don't need to use that much, I can't say I've ever used a full stick in one go besides securing an entire rockscape
Yes, sorry I understand that is kind of ambiguous.

Small amount I'm referring to the sticks of 4-20oz epoxy. A lot of vendors I have ordered from sell every frag on an epoxy base, and I'd be surprised if they're just buying these small sticks in bulk. So I'm curious if there is a solution here, like a huge batch you can just get.

Yeah, I am thinking something like the reef cement may be the way to go.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That gives me a thought for OP - if the amount of bonding material you need is truly enormous, maybe consider something like reef safe cement? You'd have to have everything fragged up and ready to go and then mount them all at once though I think, to avoid mixing numerous batches of cement. You'd definitely save $, though!

I prefer the poly glue because it does not have the heat exchange like Two part epoxy and super glue combo.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the instant ocean epoxy in the past but I normally use JB Waterweld that I buy from Walmart.
I don’t know about buying any in bulk though. You may be able to reach out to a few vendors and I’d bet they’d be willing to tell you what they use and how they get it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use Instant Ocean which is easy to get on Amazon. Easy to use, holds really well. Less expensive than other brands that i've seen at LFS

Yup I get it often, but the stock is sometimes old/stiff…. same goes for the seachem stuff
Tunze is a good brand but pricey
…I’ve been using those “rocks” that you heat in the microwave…works ok w/o glue

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back