What is floating around in my tank?

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what these little white things are that are floating around in my tank? They appeared out of nowhere a few days ago.The bigger ones are copepods but the smaller ones are too small to see. Could they also be very tiny copepods? They are not microbubbles cause they're still there after I turn off the skimmer.
IMG_5139.jpeg
IMG_5140.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5138.mov
    78.8 MB

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obtain a sample in a small glass jar. Turn off room lighting and use a small flashlight to peer into the jar. If you are able, obtain some photos with your phone under white light and describe the movement (if any). Report back.

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obtain a sample in a small glass jar. Turn off room lighting and use a small flashlight to peer into the jar. If you are able, obtain some photos with your phone under white light and describe the movement (if any). Report back.
There is no movement. I've tried to get some photos but they're too small.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then add a filter sock and clear up the detritus from the water column.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a filter sock. I have no idea why it doesn't pick it up :(
Filter sock may be plugged but appear to be suspended matter. Assure stuff is not reaching your pump. I assume you have felt socks - try mesh

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter sock may be plugged but appear to be suspended matter. Assure stuff is not reaching your pump. I assume you have felt socks - try mesh
I have a Red Sea Max Nano tank with the sock that came in the box. There is also some water flowing over to the side in the rear sump and I don't know how to fix it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max Nano tank with the sock that came in the box. There is also some water flowing over to the side in the rear sump and I don't know how to fix it.
Ah yes- familiar with that sock which doesnt do much. You can place filter floss from walmart or petsmart in there for better particle entrapment

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes- familiar with that sock which doesnt do much. You can place filter floss from walmart or petsmart in there for better particle entrapment
Ok thanks! Another thing that I sometimes see floating around are some slimy flakes. I had a bacteria bloom a month ago and it looks almost exactly like the slime I saw then. Is It possible that it's related to the small particles?
IMG_5176.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have stuff floating around in my tanks. My 180g with two HOB overflows and basement sump with reef diapers for socks is the clearest. My reefer 300 has two mp40, two mp10, and two Nero 5s to try and keep stuff in the water column so it can make it down to the roller mat but there is still always particles in the water. I just live with it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok thanks! Another thing that I sometimes see floating around are some slimy flakes. I had a bacteria bloom a month ago and it looks almost exactly like the slime I saw then. Is It possible that it's related to the small particles?
IMG_5176.jpeg
May be a sign of overfeeding and minimal filtration. Consider adding a skimmer to tank that hangs on within filter housing such as Ice Cap Nano or K1-50

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back