White particles floating in tank

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi all I’ve recently noticed small white particles in my tank floating around don’t think it’s air bubbles but could be wrong any suggestions on what it could be and how to fix cheers

image.jpg

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sure. You could try running something like carbon see if it helps. Could also be a bacterial bloom which you just need to wait it out. I would just wait a couple of days and see what happens. If it clears up great, if not try running the carbon and adding some more mechanical filtration in your sump.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like air bubbles, they are going straight up despite the flow. Particles would blow in the flow.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sure. You could try running something like carbon see if it helps. Could also be a bacterial bloom which you just need to wait it out. I would just wait a couple of days and see what happens. If it clears up great, if not try running the carbon and adding some more mechanical filtration in your sump.
It’s a Fluval evo with no sump just a media box I’ve recently replaced the carbon is there anything I can do if it’s a bacterial bloom and are they harmful for the tank cheers

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply so would I have to adjust my power head to stop micro bubbles thanks
Is it a new tank? One of the rocks is brand new and just turning green...... Its normal to see air bubbles forming in new tanks or new rocks. It looks like very good flow in the tank, so the flow is just pushing those air bubbles along. I would just wait a few days and see if it clears or if adjustment is needed.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply so would I have to adjust my power head to stop micro bubbles thanks
in the first video you can see the power head creating a vortex at the top of the water column. Its pulling air into it and creating bubbles. Move the power head down more or turn it down.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the first video you can see the power head creating a vortex at the top of the water column. It’s pulling air into it and creating bubbles. Move the power head down more or turn it down.
I never knew that can create bubbles in the tank it makes sense tough I’ve moved the powerhead further down should I see a result right away or is it a waiting game for the bubbles to disappear cheers

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank? One of the rocks is brand new and just turning green...... It’s normal to see air bubbles forming in new tanks or new rocks. It looks like very good flow in the tank, so the flow is just pushing those air bubbles along. I would just wait a few days and see if it clears or if adjustment is needed.
It’s about 2 months old the rock was added about a month ago I’ve seen air bubbles coming from the rock at the start I think that’s died down now though yeah time might be the best option for now though

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew that can create bubbles in the tank it makes sense tough I’ve moved the powerhead further down should I see a result right away or is it a waiting game for the bubbles to disappear cheers
As long as the vortex isnt happening it should clear up quickly.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like general "Crapite" which is a technical term referring to stuff floating in my tank that I don't know what it is. There will always be "stuff" floating in the water like uneaten food, sand dust, dust from the rocks, fish/coral poop. Etc. If it bothers you, you can try filter socks.

This is all just a guess and it may just be air bubbles as previously stated.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the vortex isnt happening it should clear up quickly.
Still seems to be partials I’ve noticed small white insect/moving bacteria on my glass could that have any part in the floating particles

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still seems to be partials I’ve noticed small white insect/moving bacteria on my glass could that have any part in the floating particles
Those are pods and they are good. Could be some in the water column. That vortex wasn't helping the situation any though. Like @esquare said could just be general debris. Finer filter material may help with that. I typically dont run any mech filtration other than a skimmer so there is usually stuff floating around in mine too. I did start snow and use some floss afterwards, crazy the difference in my tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back