What is going on? Need some help

enviroman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is wrong in my tank. It all started the other day, when I added a Tiger Watchman goby. I acclimated him as I normally do over the course of around 2 hours. He went into the tank fine and dove straight for the bottom. I saw the Yellow tang being a little aggressive, but nothing that seemed to bother him. I left him be and cake back and hour later and haven't seen him since. I had 3 Oscellaris clowns that were getting along great, perfectly healthy, except the smallest in was alone in the back towards the bottom. Knowing that clowns are quirky, I left him only to find him back in front swimming around fine. A little while later, the smallest one was on the bed of the tank in the claws of one of my emerald crabs. I woke up this morning and another clown disappeared. My anthias, who is as healthy as a horse, eating alot and still is, but his fin is straight put and there seems to be an injury on his body.... See the photo. Tank inhabitants include 2 emeralds, 1 yellow tang, 1 Lyretail anthias, 1 Oscellaris clown, a blue damsel who is very docile for a damsel, a bunch of hermit crabs, snails and a serpent star who I hadn't seen in weeks and now I have seen him out for 2 days on a row when I feed.

Tank is about 3 months old, 65 gallon with 65 lbs of live rock, hob protein skimmer, uv sterilizer and a canister filter with GFO and Seachem Matrix in it. Parameters are 76 degrees, pH 8.0, salinity 1.024, 12 dkH, 0 Ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates, 420 calcium, . 25 phosphates... Use only RO/DI water for water change. Last water change was 5 days ago.. 7 gallons.

Any idea what's going on? Can it be the Emerald crab?

8f963c4ed1a04c601707e854d838da02.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

enviroman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news.... The Tiger Goby has been spotted... Maybe just burrowing in the sand under the live rock.

I'm just a little worried because I see the emerald hanging out in the area....

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color is the serpent star? Is it large?

OP
OP
E

enviroman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to chuckle when I saw the clowns swim down to the emerald and he would try and climb up the glass with claws fully extended... No so funny now

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think an emerald could catch and injury a healthy Anthia unless these emeralds are HUGE. Unless you're quarantining new additions there could be a disease process going on, especially after introduction of a new fish.

OP
OP
E

enviroman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I don't have the equipment.
And all of the affected fish came from the same place

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back