What is going on with my hammer?

mr frogfish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2025
Messages
70
Reaction score
64
Location
130 cornell road
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hammers in my tank- a yellow one (1 head) and a green one with purple tips (2 heads) the green one seems to be shrunken into its skeleton a bit. I dipped before adding, any ideas on what it could be? I also just got back from a 5 day vacation, so maybe it is that?
20260403_091401_DF05A987-0140-403E-82EE-10EFD4427046.png
 
I have 2 hammers in my tank- a yellow one (1 head) and a green one with purple tips (2 heads) the green one seems to be shrunken into its skeleton a bit. I dipped before adding, any ideas on what it could be? I also just got back from a 5 day vacation, so maybe it is that?
20260403_091401_DF05A987-0140-403E-82EE-10EFD4427046.png
The #reefsquad may have some ideas.
 
How old is the tank?
What are you parameters?
What light or lights are you using?
From the picture, it appears the flesh band is cleaving, which can indicate that head is splitting. While splitting, the head can and will retract from time to time.
Are you able to get a close up?
 
I have 2 hammers in my tank- a yellow one (1 head) and a green one with purple tips (2 heads) the green one seems to be shrunken into its skeleton a bit. I dipped before adding, any ideas on what it could be? I also just got back from a 5 day vacation, so maybe it is that?
20260403_091401_DF05A987-0140-403E-82EE-10EFD4427046.png
Has it expanded anymore since the picture was taken? Euphyllia can close up for a multitude of reasons and not all of them are bad. A close up will help and listing your parameters would give us a better idea too.
 
I have 2 hammers in my tank- a yellow one (1 head) and a green one with purple tips (2 heads) the green one seems to be shrunken into its skeleton a bit. I dipped before adding, any ideas on what it could be? I also just got back from a 5 day vacation, so maybe it is that?
20260403_091401_DF05A987-0140-403E-82EE-10EFD4427046.png
Has it expanded anymore since the picture was taken? Euphyllia can close up for a multitude of reasons and not all of them are bad. A close up will help and listing your parameters would give us a better idea too.
It has expanded, but closed many times.
 
How old is the tank?
What are you parameters?
What light or lights are you using?
From the picture, it appears the flesh band is cleaving, which can indicate that head is splitting. While splitting, the head can and will retract from time to time.
Are you able to get a close up?
My tank is 7 months old- I’m using the stock fluval evo 13.5 gallon light. I have an auto doser, so params are in check. It has 2 heads, or it could be mid split. I’m not sure
 
I have 2 hammers in my tank- a yellow one (1 head) and a green one with purple tips (2 heads) the green one seems to be shrunken into its skeleton a bit. I dipped before adding, any ideas on what it could be? I also just got back from a 5 day vacation, so maybe it is that?
20260403_091401_DF05A987-0140-403E-82EE-10EFD4427046.png
Has it expanded anymore since the picture was taken? Euphyllia can close up for a multitude of reasons and not all of them are bad. A close up will help and listing your parameters would give us a better idea too.
It has expanded, but closed many times.
So it’s opened and closed several times in a short period? Is something like a fish or invert irritating it? Your other hammer in the picture looks very happy.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 38 31.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new