What is going on with my tank? Big algae problems

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

New to the forums, so I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place. I did have a look around but could not find where to post it.

I have had my tank running for around 4 months now. The tank (details below) cycled pretty quickly, and 2 months ago I added the first of my cleaning crew. Levels all looked great, so every week or two I was adding a little bit more (listed below).

The problem that I am facing though is a constant algae problem. I am guessing it is Red slime algae - Cyanobacteria, but this is purely a guess due to the colour and look. I have to clean the rocks and ruffle the sand every night, as by the next evening it is already covered again.

I am doing 15% water changes every 2 weeks, and did one around 3 hours ago after giving the tank a thorough clean. There is already a build up of the algae on my sand bed. My levels all look great, so I do not know where I am going wrong and what to do to change this, seeing as even a bi-weekly water change will not help it!

The rocks have the layer of red slime on it (can literally come off in lumps with fast movement in the water), and the sand goes like a burnt colour, like it is now. I have a feeling that this algae problem is the reason why my RBTA is not attaching anywhere.

If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

360L DT
Tunze E-Jet 1605 Centrifugal Pump
2x Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045 Pumps
Giesemann Matrixx II Dimtex 6x39W Light
130lbs Dry Rock
90lbs Red Sea Live Sand

160L Sump
Aquarium Systems I.Ocean Skimmer 1600L
JBL ProTemp S300W Heater
Eheim Compact+ 2000 Pump
Plastic Bio Balls

Inhabitants
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Orange Tuxedo Urchin
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
6 Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs
1 Ocellaris clownfish
1 Sleeper Banded Goby
1 Pacific Blue Tang (Tang is under 1 inch. New tank before it is too big)
1 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Levels (tested with Red Sea Foundation Pro and Marine Care)

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Between 5-10
Calcium - 370
Magnesium - 1160
pH - 8.0
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.025
Temperature - 25 Degrees

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

New to the forums, so I apologise if this is posted in the wrong place. I did have a look around but could not find where to post it.

I have had my tank running for around 4 months now. The tank (details below) cycled pretty quickly, and 2 months ago I added the first of my cleaning crew. Levels all looked great, so every week or two I was adding a little bit more (listed below).

The problem that I am facing though is a constant algae problem. I am guessing it is Red slime algae - Cyanobacteria, but this is purely a guess due to the colour and look. I have to clean the rocks and ruffle the sand every night, as by the next evening it is already covered again.

I am doing 15% water changes every 2 weeks, and did one around 3 hours ago after giving the tank a thorough clean. There is already a build up of the algae on my sand bed. My levels all look great, so I do not know where I am going wrong and what to do to change this, seeing as even a bi-weekly water change will not help it!

The rocks have the layer of red slime on it (can literally come off in lumps with fast movement in the water), and the sand goes like a burnt colour, like it is now. I have a feeling that this algae problem is the reason why my RBTA is not attaching anywhere.

360L DT
130lbs Dry Rock
90lbs Red Sea Live Sand

160L Sump
JBL ProTemp S300W Heater
Eheim Compact+ 2000 Pump
Plastic Bio Balls

Inhabitants
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Orange Tuxedo Urchin
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1 Ocellaris clownfish
1 Sleeper Banded Goby

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Between 5-10
Calcium - 370
Magnesium - 1160
pH - 8.0
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.025
Temperature - 25 Degrees
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor (3).gif
Algae swings on new tanks are pretty common and tend to go away on their own. For your water changes are you using RO/DI water with a TDS of 0? Also are you using RO/DI water for your top off?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what your phosphate level is I noticed dinoflagellates when I let my phosphates increase. Once I lower my Phosphate levels the brown slime went away and now I just have a light dusting of green algae that the snails keep in check

By the way my tank is only 3 months old so close to where you are

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is cyano, I would do small frequent water changes with 0 tds RO/DI water. Siphon out as much cyano when doing water changes. Increase flow. Decrease feedings, especially frozen type foods. Decrease light intensity and duration.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

360L DT
130lbs Dry Rock
90lbs Red Sea Live Sand

160L Sump
JBL ProTemp S300W Heater
Eheim Compact+ 2000 Pump
Plastic Bio Balls

Inhabitants
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
1 Orange Tuxedo Urchin
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin
1 Ocellaris clownfish
1 Sleeper Banded Goby

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - Between 5-10
Calcium - 370
Magnesium - 1160
pH - 8.0
KH - 8
Salinity - 1.025
Temperature - 25 Degrees

What kind of water are you using (ie Tap, RO or RODI)? How long do you run your lights each day?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could well be that your rock had a fair amount of phosphate in it and it has leached out into the tank causing the cyano problems. Testing the water might not indicate the problem because the nitrates and phosphates are tied up in the pest algae.

You just need to ride it out. Feed enough to keep your livestock happy but not too much. Export the nutrients by water changes, removing algae, or using GFO to absorb phosphates. Given a few months of discipline, you should get it manageable.

OP
OP
Dan13

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all of the replies!

Sorry, I forgot to include that I use distilled water bought from a local hardware store, which has 0 TDS, and use it along with Red Sea Salt. I also have a top up section in my sump with a Tunze Osmolator, which contains the same distilled water.

I feed the tank frozen mysis and Ocean Nutrition 1 flakes and pellets. I don’t over feed it as I only put in as much as can be consumed in 2 minutes.

I was thinking that it could be my lighting being too strong. I have a choice of having 2, 4 or all 6 bulbs on. Maybe stick to leaving just 2 on for now? My routine has been 1 hour with 2 on, then switch all 6 on for 8 hours, then back to 1 hour with 2 on then off for the night. Some people suggest doing it this was to simulate sunrise and sunset....so I’ve been told haha.

Phosphates is one thing that I have not tested for, so I guess it could be that. I will have to buy some tests for it.

If phosphates are the problem, would you suggest using the N03 : PO4 - X from Red Sea? I have seen this in my local fish store.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I wouldn't dose with anything. Be patient. Stop feeding Mysis as much. When I was new, I used to feed Rods Fish Foods and then few months after, I got cyano bad. I stopped feeding frozen, increased flow, did small-frequent water changes, decreased lights by couple hours and bought a RO/DI setup from Spectrapure.

OP
OP
Dan13

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ibacha - Thank you very much for your message in particular. I looked everywhere for what my problem was and could not find it for weeks. I looked up what you have said there about dinoflagellates and it is exactly that. That is how my sand is turning and my rocks are going. I have been looking up all day on this, how to get rid of it. I am now attempting what most websites have suggested, which is a complete blackout for 3 days. I have covered the tank completely in cardboard to not allow any light in there at all. By doing this it should starve out the dinoflagellates. I will let you know the outcome in 3 days time!

OP
OP
Dan13

Dan13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to let you guys know, that a three day blackout worked. The rocks, sand and glass are all rid of the dinoflagellates and looks great. Everything is alive and thriving in there, and my pod population is looking good too.

Not sure whether to start a new thread on this or not, but my RBTA when I took the cardboard off had attached himself to the glass and looked huge. It is the first time that he has attached. Within half an hour of turning the lights on, he has gone a bit smaller (still relatively large and tentacles all out), but is starting to peel away from the glass.

Should I start a new thread on this or does anyone have any comments about it?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back