What is going on with my tank?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try and explain this as simply as possible. I have a hammer, torch, leather and some polyps which are thriving in my tank. I also have some zoas that are doing so so due to some hungry amphipods.

A few weeks ago I added a red Goni and a couple of acans to my tank and they seemed to be doing pretty well. I left for a short weekend trip and I came home to a closed up Goni that has yet to open, an acan with some decent tissue loss (but still opens) and another acan that opens about halfway. a few days ago I also added a cyphastrea and a small blasto. That cyphastrea didn’t seem too thrilled where I put it so I’m going to move it but the blasto started out really well. Then, I wake up this morning and one polyp is sucked in an kind of looks like it may be missing some flesh.

I have been testing my parameters and they’re at adequate levels but I have been struggling with stability. I dose the same amount every day but some days the levels increase some days they increase and with no noticeable pattern. I can keep Alk consistently between 8.4 and 8.8. Mag has been sitting between 1410 and 1440. Haven’t tested calcium in a while but previously it was staying between 420 and 450. Nitrate and Phosphate are consistently 16 and .04, respectively.

Any ideas of what could be going on here? Could something be eating my corals or perhaps it has something to do with my parameters?

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you reference what your parameters typically are, have you measured in the past couple days to verify current parameters? Make sure to check salinity and temp as well.

What is your current dosing and feeding schedule, have you changed anything recently? Running carbon?

-Hans

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you reference what your parameters typically are, have you measured in the past couple days to verify current parameters? Make sure to check salinity and temp as well.

What is your current dosing and feeding schedule, have you changed anything recently? Running carbon?

-Hans
I tested today and everything was in that range. I’m going to get a new calcium kit today but I’d be surprised if it was under 400. I do weekly 10% water changes. Salinity is 1.026. Temperature stays between 78.5 and 79. Alk and Mg get dosed daily multiple times. I do run Carbon but I’m not good with replacing it regularly. I just added fresh carbon today. I changed my rockwork but this started before that. I have been running floss instead of socks for a couple weeks and there is definitely more time debris in the water column but nothing crazy

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish in the tank - any angels?
I had a Venustus but it died. Never got it to eat anything but never noticed it picking at coral. I have a small blenny (similar to tailspot), red dragonet, pink streaked wrasse, blue stripe pipe and Springeri damsel. Nothing that would immediately jump out as nippers

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Venustus but it died. Never got it to eat anything but never noticed it picking at coral. I have a small blenny (similar to tailspot), red dragonet, pink streaked wrasse, blue stripe pipe and Springeri damsel. Nothing that would immediately jump out as nippers
Nothing jumps out at me, either. It's always hard to catch the little buggers in the act...

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing jumps out at me, either. It's always hard to catch the little buggers in the act...
Part of me is thinking maybe a pest got introduced. I added coral from a frag swap at the beginning of the month but I dipped everything, plus I would imagine I would have noticed things sooner. I may go out and buy the kit for an ICP test.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me is thinking maybe a pest got introduced. I added coral from a frag swap at the beginning of the month but I dipped everything, plus I would imagine I would have noticed things sooner. I may go out and buy the kit for an ICP test.
I dip all my corals too. It's unlikely, but you never know. I always had trouble keeping acans and honestly thought I just sucked with them. Then I finally caught my midnight dwarf angel feasting on them. Bad fish!

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip all my corals too. It's unlikely, but you never know. I always had trouble keeping acans and honestly thought I just sucked with them. Then I finally caught my midnight dwarf angel feasting on them. Bad fish!
I’ll have to keep an eye on everything when I turn my lights out. I’ll probably rip my hair out if I see amphipods munching on them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back