• Save your money and give it to the Toys For Kids drive

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

Textech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new to the hobby, right at my 1 yr mark. In my "younger" days of only a few months in, I remember looking at the for-sale threads in awe of how much some of the frags cost. Since then, the goal posts for me have shifted considerably and what once seemed like an inconceivable amount of money to spend on a coral, now does not seem so farfetched. At the time of my first "high end" zoa purchase, a roughly $30 per polyp space chaos, it was that splurge purchase that I would not top. It was going to be my centerpiece. Since then, I have shifted my red line in the sand to a bounce mushrooms at $200+. This will probably continue to evolve into just shredding money and putting it in a media reactor. I assume this falls in line with most things in this hobby, that 10g tank was going to be enough, and then I just need a 50g, followed by once I get 100+ I will be happy. Or, just this last piece of equipment and my tank will be complete, ect. Back to the for-sale threads, I notice threads titled things like mid to high end zoas or high end shrooms, acros, high end whatever coral and I am curious what other people view as "high-end". My assumption is this is relative to how deep your pockets are, how long you have been in the hobby, how much you have "invested" and also depends on if you even buy into the "high-end" coral name game. So, what is the "high end" coral price point to you?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the size of the frag and what the coral is. Here’s a general outline of what I’d consider to be “high end”. My standards do vary considerably depending on what coral we’re talking about, acros and torches being the top dollar ones just cause they’re what’s expensive right now. I do believe that there is a difference in what is “high end” and what isn’t, but I always just buy the coral that appeals to me, not a name or price. My goal is and always has been to create a beautiful piece of growing, thriving ocean that recieves the best quality care I can provide, resale value does not play any part in what I find appealing but I do see the value in remembering the given names (if available) and I understand why some things are more expensive than other things. I do have some pieces that I would consider high end, and I appreciate that they are high end because they’re breathtakingly gorgeous and I understand why someone would pay top dollar for them but I also have a lot of $10-$20 corals that I find just as gorgeous

Zoas/palys- $100+ per polyp
Hammer- $150+ per head
Octospawn- $200+ per head
Torches- $300+ per head
Acros (specifically tenius)- $200 for a single branch 1” frag
BTA- $350+
Scolys- $500+ (pretty much just a master)
Goniopora- $200 for a 1”x1” frag
Acan/micromussa- $75+ per head

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was buying these at $200 each , until I had 50 from Indonesia shipping to me. But in the US, I was buying these for $200 each. 2 months ago hard to find, when available they go for $60

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-09-21-48-28-1.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-09-21-48-28-1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 118

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if there's a coral that you think is the right price that you enjoy the colors of and want then go for it. But personally I think paying high prices for a trend coral is insane, as eventually the price will come down when propagated by more and more

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slap a fancy name on it, and charge a ridiculous price. Only then can you call it high end.

The coral naming game has really gotten out of hand. Now that indo corals are coming back, euphyllia have flooded the market once again. But yet we still see $300 a head for a regular old gold torch that used to be like $50 a head. Only because now instead of just being a gold torch, it has that fancy NY knicks, indo gold, holy grail, etc, whatever name on it now.

As long as it has a fancy name, it will be high end in price even if it's not a high end coral.

Also a lot of newbies coming into the hobby, look at coral prices and think they can make a quick buck. So we have quite a few "chop shops" now that charge ridiculous amounts for corals cause "everyone else is selling it for that price now too".

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right .... high-end is simply a way to try to get folks to pay more!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should have to do with rarity or desire/demand. Some in the hobby are what we'd refer to as "collectors" who like to collect certain types of corals or corals from certain vendors and lineages. IMO, it's this trend of collecting that has created the "high end" niche in the reef market.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"High End" to me is big colorful coral in a reef tank. Frags IMO cannot be high end regardless of their price. Show me a 1' yellow scroll or a giant beautiful purple acro... that is high end. The kind of corals that exist only in long running well cared for aquariums.

abbypoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time is also a consideration. Some corals don’t come around very often and may come from a limited area.

An expensive item that grows really fast and it easy, may very well drop in price after a few year due to people fragging out their own on this very forum.

For me, it’s the Ludicrous type chalice that seems impossible to find!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High end is just another way to say high dollar.
Get what ya like.
My high end was $150 WD pencil ereaser sized nub. Its nice now.
I would by more but locally their is not much and I have not purchased coral online yet.

Pancake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have to do with rarity or desire/demand. Some in the hobby are what we'd refer to as "collectors" who like to collect certain types of corals or corals from certain vendors and lineages. IMO, it's this trend of collecting that has created the "high end" niche in the reef market.
I agree with Danial. Highend ultimately has to do more with rarity and demand then anything else. It’s a moving target. Many corals once deemed highend are now reclassified as classics as they become more ubiquitous. Unfortunately, the most rare are usually the most difficult and sensitive to keep. This naturally makes sense since this would be the gating item that keeps them from becoming widely propagated. Anyone who has tried to make money on “highend” corals realizes real quick why some corals that have been around a long time are still so expensive. Not to defend high pricing in general, but often much sacrifices were made to finally get a stable specimen to the market for these difficult varieties, an example that comes to my mind is the ASD Holy Grail. They are definitely not for everyone, but for serious collectors, $1000+ corals are what separates the diehards. I think there are high priced trendy corals that ultimately drop off in price and there are true highend corals which sustain their ridiculous price because of their difficulty or there exclusivity. Some Coral specimens are living art and therefore desirable for their unique frag specific characteristics. In this way every time you choose to buy or to pass on a specific frag you are making a decision to pass up on an opportunity and the opportunity cost associated with it. Often times I’m forced to hard decisions to buy even if I have to sell later because I know that if I change my mind and I actually wanted that piece, the opportunity will no longer be present. I’m sure many collectors share this sentiment. The real question is how long are you willing to wait to get what you want.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it has to do with the social media effect. Same with the dog scene. Frenchies, bulldogs etc 7k for a Frenchie yea I’ll pass.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My priciest coral is a bitty frag of Holy Grail micromussa. I snagged it for $60 on sale, and I think it would normally have been two or three times that. One adult head and a couple of baby heads at the time, now one adult head and many baby heads. Prices on these seem to be trending down a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stay relatively high for awhile, if not for good. They genuinely do look as nice as some of these photos, and they don't put on mass very fast. Partly due to having such tiny polyps.

Will be very curious to see what pricing on these bounce shrooms does. They're pretty flashy, so I think they'll stay more expensive than other mushrooms, but I figure sooner or later there are going to be a lot of babies on the market. I'd like one, but not at current prices! Especially not for a dime-sized baby that could up and float away to who-knows-where if it gets a little stressed.

Bizzie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Danial. Highend ultimately has to do more with rarity and demand then anything else. It’s a moving target. Many corals once deemed highend are now reclassified as classics as they become more ubiquitous. Unfortunately, the most rare are usually the most difficult and sensitive to keep. This naturally makes sense since this would be the gating item that keeps them from becoming widely propagated. Anyone who has tried to make money on “highend” corals realizes real quick why some corals that have been around a long time are still so expensive. Not to defend high pricing in general, but often much sacrifices were made to finally get a stable specimen to the market for these difficult varieties, an example that comes to my mind is the ASD Holy Grail. They are definitely not for everyone, but for serious collectors, $1000+ corals are what separates the diehards. I think there are high priced trendy corals that ultimately drop off in price and there are true highend corals which sustain their ridiculous price because of their difficulty or there exclusivity. Some Coral specimens are living art and therefore desirable for their unique frag specific characteristics. In this way every time you choose to buy or to pass on a specific frag you are making a decision to pass up on an opportunity and the opportunity cost associated with it. Often times I’m forced to hard decisions to buy even if I have to sell later because I know that if I change my mind and I actually wanted that piece, the opportunity will no longer be present. I’m sure many collectors share this sentiment. The real question is how long are you willing to wait to get what you want.
I’m a first time reefer with 2 months into this amazing hobby. So new that tanks is FOWLR, no lights on. I’ve learned from lots of research and r2r threads that slow and steady is the way to go with a new reef tank. I plan on starting my coral journey as soon as I star t to see more evidence of coralline algae (starting to see small dots). I’ve been so focused on not being lulled into purchasing corals that I rarely even look at corals when at my local LFSs. Thanks for your perspective.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dark knight joker GIF

High end coral is one that has a made-up Marketing Name given to it to create a buzz and a demand for it....so a Reefer can OVERPAY 4X for it....so they can go to their local Reef Club and say they're the first to own it and brag about it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back