What is main difference between essential+ and pro?

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Essentials+ seems to only ship to Germany - probably just a naming thing for different areas where they can ship it

I've been using PRO for about 8 months now - my corals definitely appreciate the stability. Their tech support was super helpful when I was first starting out and figuring out my necessary dosages.

OP
OP
D

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seems that this is different products, since you can buy both in one store

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between Essentials Pro and Essentials Plus is the alkalinity.

Essentials Pro: Organic alkalinity - This requires a biological process to "release" the alkalinity. This makes it slow release rather than instant.
Essentials Plus: Inorganic alkalinity - This requires no biological process and is available immediately. This is only for people who are worried about using organic alkalinity (basically no one in North America). It was designed to compete against competing products. We do not at this time have plans to release it here unless people ask for it in great numbers.

Quote from above blog:

"Alkalinity Source:
  • Triton Core7 Triton Method: Inorganic Carbon Source – This means the alkalinity in the bottle is immediately available for coral consumption and does not require biological action to become available. Once the product is used in the reef it is readily available.
  • ATI Essential Pro: Organic Carbon Source – This means it requires biological action to make the alkalinity available to the corals to consume. This slows the availability of alkalinity."

So,,,, how many of you are worried about Organic vs Inorganic alkalinity?

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Inorganic alkalinity I can use alkalinity monitor with doser to correct my dosing automatically , with Organic - no.
Valid point, although I would highly discourage dosing any alkalinity in this manor. It is very risky in my opinion.

OP
OP
D

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree. I even think that alkalinity releasing by organic method have more stable values at a short distance than alkalinity available instantly.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a more complete answer from Ati here in Germany, probably because they are available here..:
"the differences are small, yet crucial. They are listed on our website:

By and large, Essentials + offers advantages in the keeping of SPS corals and does not interfere with the nutrient system, so that it is better suited when hardly any / no nutrients are detectable in the system.
The trace element concentrations of Essentials pro and + differed only slightly. The most obvious difference is with vanadium and iodine. Both elements are more concentrated in Essentials +."

I also saw some German people saying that the first results were better with the + than the pro.
Personally I was not happy with the pro in the past . Seems these essentials + are very similar to the oceamo products, which should also give good results.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was their new higher ph formula. This organic vs inorganic makes no sense at all. You can most definitely measure the alkalinity right away after dosing pro. It goes all snowy in the water after adding it just like any other alkalinity solution. If it was an organic source of alkalinity it would be like all for reef and have no reaction when you initially dose to the water. I think that is just marketing crap. They have altered the formula to be a bit higher in ph and thus make it a bit better for sps corals.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was their new higher ph formula. This organic vs inorganic makes no sense at all. You can most definitely measure the alkalinity right away after dosing pro. It goes all snowy in the water after adding it just like any other alkalinity solution. If it was an organic source of alkalinity it would be like all for reef and have no reaction when you initially dose to the water. I think that is just marketing crap. They have altered the formula to be a bit higher in ph and thus make it a bit better for sps corals.

The difference is organic vs inorganic, which does impact pH faster but both do impact it initially. The main difference is the organics ride with the alkalinity, producing some nutrients. This difference is so slight we did not find a need to offer it here in North America.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference is organic vs inorganic, which does impact pH faster but both do impact it initially. The main difference is the organics ride with the alkalinity, producing some nutrients. This difference is so slight we did not find a need to offer it here in North America.

Hi ATI,

Can you clarify with 100% certainty that ATI essentials pro provides alkalinity in an organic form? That claim/ fact seems very odd to me for a 2/3 part system since the main benefit of such a method would be all in one packaging.

it also does not seem to be mentioned on the main ATI site,

and if true, would lead to a huge amount of problems in dosing and measurement if it is true and you do not tell folks.

Only place I see it is your blog :

ATI Essential Pro: Organic Carbon Source – This means it requires biological action to make the alkalinity available to the corals to consume. This slows the availability of alkalinity

Last edited:

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know that is the only difference?
I don't know for sure but i know people who use it. It was originally marketed in Europe as there new higher ph formula which is better for sps. Aquaforest brought out a new higher ph formula and so did a British company Reef zelements with their ph plus. Looked like Ati just jumped on the band wagon to me. There was no mention of this organic vs non organic alkalinity which doesn't even make sense because its clear ati pro raises alk instantly.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure but i know people who use it. It was originally marketed in Europe as there new higher ph formula which is better for sps. Aquaforest brought out a new higher ph formula and so did a British company Reef zelements with their ph plus. Looked like Ati just jumped on the band wagon to me. There was no mention of this organic vs non organic alkalinity which doesn't even make sense because its clear ati pro raises alk instantly.
They not market here as higher PH but Inorganic vs organic,they communicated on if your nutriments levels are high take the pro,if your level are not high, and you have sps take the +

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is supposed to be higher pH? The organic one cannot be higher pH unless it is a combination of carbonate or hydroxide alk supplements and an organic alk supplement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back