What is on my anthias

raythereefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2023
Messages
196
Reaction score
220
Location
Lincoln
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
56815.jpg
the first picture shows my main concern. Not sure if it's either ammonia burn or uroneoma ? There is also the potential that it's aggression related as I bought a group of seven and this is one of 2 who I suspect now may be male. This one stays on its own a lot and the other male has the females around him which makes me think it could be that possibly ? No other fish has the same damage. I've also shown a different fish with a potential red mark on its side if that could potentially be uroneoma? PXL_20260125_132118102.jpg
 
56815.jpg
the first picture shows my main concern. Not sure if it's either ammonia burn or uroneoma ? There is also the potential that it's aggression related as I bought a group of seven and this is one of 2 who I suspect now may be male. This one stays on its own a lot and the other male has the females around him which makes me think it could be that possibly ? No other fish has the same damage. I've also shown a different fish with a potential red mark on its side if that could potentially be uroneoma? PXL_20260125_132118102.jpg

Uronema usually causes vertical, red lesions, slanting slightly forward. These red lesions are more diffuse, not typical of Uronema, more commonly from tankmate aggression.

Anthias are weird fish - in the wild, they form loose, peaceful shoals, but in captivity, things get messed up and they often fight. You may never see it happen, only see the results, like these red spots....
 
Uronema usually causes vertical, red lesions, slanting slightly forward. These red lesions are more diffuse, not typical of Uronema, more commonly from tankmate aggression.

Anthias are weird fish - in the wild, they form loose, peaceful shoals, but in captivity, things get messed up and they often fight. You may never see it happen, only see the results, like these red spots....
Thanks jay , gives me some peace of mind. The difference was very subtle between the males and females I thought I had 7 females until I got them home. I normally treat everything with copper power but slightly hesitant with these so potentially just going to observe them. Would you do any different ?
 
Thanks jay , gives me some peace of mind. The difference was very subtle between the males and females I thought I had 7 females until I got them home. I normally treat everything with copper power but slightly hesitant with these so potentially just going to observe them. Would you do any different ?

Copper Power will help quell any hidden protozoan issues (except Uronema) so that may stop other issues, but I don't think it will help with this fish.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new